cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Connection Keeps Dropping

MKM
Tuning in

Hi Team,

Over the last four weeks out of no where my wireless both on Phones and Desktop keeps dropping. 

Each time have to switch to cellular data for our phones and hardwired for laptops for a number of minutes before wireless comes back. 

Have checked speeds and indeed the download speed is drastically reduced with no upload. 

Have rebooted modem etc but where that helps with speeds, the issue occurs again and again. 

Any advice welcomed? 

12 REPLIES 12

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Do wired devices behave in the same way?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi Gary,

No the wired devices seem to be fine, it’s just the wireless devices.

lotharmat
Community elder
I had this - Do all devices drop wireless at the same time and for the same duration?

If so - it could be that the wifi part of the hub is dying!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Yes all at the same time with no seemingly commonality to their occurrences. 

how did you resolve this? 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Put the hub into modem mode and get your own better router or a mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi @MKM,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you appear to be having some intermittent drops of your wireless/Wi-Fi connection. When you say that you've rebooted the router, is it a factory reset that you've performed?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach,

Sadly yes, have now tried everything including a factor reset and the wireless keeps dropping. 

the wired internet remains constant so much be a hardware issue. 

any other suggestions?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As it's a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free (so worth trying)  to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you? If not you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John,

Appreciate the advice though all seems quite the task for what one that is not IT savy you have what one would expect as “out of the box” solution. In saying that have already turned off channel optimisation and signals are separated.

In my lifetime of using BT/Sky/VM have never had to resort to this level of technical intervention to make simple wifi to work again. 

Appreciate this is posed to VM and not your good self but this is quite the poor message to VM customer with VM HW that is only 17 months old, and that the only solution for a customer in what is their small two bed maisonette sized property is to buy their own HW to make suppliers service function. 

Thanks again for your advice and will take a look into your advice on Pods as I subscribe to a Ultimate Oomph package.