cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired speed not as expected - Hub3 as Modem

flyingcod
Joining in

Hi,

Recently I have changed my Hub3 to Modem mode and using my Nighthawk as the router.  I have also had Cat6 cables from the router to son's bedroom and also my office, ideally so we get the best speed.  

Had some initial issues with the TV telling me network was not connected after changing Hub to modem mode, but turned everything off and back on, seems okay now.

Did an Ookla speed test and getting 90Mbps for both my office and son's bedroom.  Am paying for 200mbps (I have M200), so wondering if there is something I have missed?

Thanks

fc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

change cable between hub and router.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1aTTack-2m-Ethernet-Patchcabel-compatible/dp/B00VC066KA/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=...
or check the cable with a PC that your getting a 1Gb link

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

lotharmat
Community elder
Is QoS enabled on the Nighthawk?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

It is not. Do I enable Advanced or Dynamic?

Edit, I enabled Dynamic and that stated I needed to perform a speedtest, which picked up 218 for down and 20 for up.

Rebooted router and then did a speedtest and got 91 down. 🤔  Go figure?

fc

change cable between hub and router.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1aTTack-2m-Ethernet-Patchcabel-compatible/dp/B00VC066KA/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=...
or check the cable with a PC that your getting a 1Gb link

Hi flyingcod,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'd like to say a quick thank you to our VIP's for the helpful advice they provided while you were waiting for us to pick up the thread. 🙂
I've taken a look at the Hub itself and all is looking good from our end. 

Can you please try testing the speed directly through w wired connection without the router connected. 

Just turn the Hub off, disconnect the router and plug the ethernet cable directly in to the PC/Laptop instead. Pop a screenshot of the speed results here so we can check things further for you 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks all, finally got it sorted.  To me an ethernet cable is an ethernet cable, but no you have 100MB and GB cables.

Once I bought some new ones hey presto, 210Mbps! 

One issue I do have after changing Hub3 from router/modem to modem only mode is that I can't watch any catchup, recorded programmes anymore, I am getting an C130 error saying network cable unplugged. I guess this is because it is in model only mode?  

Resolution?

Cheers

fc

You need to connect everything to your router not the hub to get catchup

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @flyingcod,

Thanks for the update - glad you're seeing an improvement with your speeds. Have you been able to resolve the Catch Up issue as per legacy1's advice or is this still ongoing?

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide