Menu
chaszam
Just joined
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection not working

Ok so I will keep this short.

Today my main desktop failed to connect to the internet it is on a wired connection directly to the router. This is not a problem with my PC as no software changes were made in this time. I still have wifi on my phone anf games console but anything i plug into ethernet can't access the internet except one PC I have which is a net work storage PC.

Things i have tried to fix this:
Changing Ethernet ports on the router
Resetting the router (multiple times)
I even reinstalled my ethernet driver from a backup incase an update fried it.

None of the above worked. If anyone can help that would be much appreciated as I really need to get my internet back up and running so I can do university work.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired connection not working

Could it be an ethernet cable fault?  Can you swap the cable out with a different one you know works?

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You said one pc is working on wired - that throws a spanner in the works.

Has anything new "hardware wise" been added to your network.  Specifically a new/different computer or a new NAS drive.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

What Hub do you have?.

You can tell If the "physical" connection is okay by using the "Ethernet lights" as a guide.  I have had units where Ethernet ports die, and the 4 Ethernet ports on Netgear units (Who makes the Superhub) are all in a single bridge, so usually when one of them fails, all of them fail.  

If it is not a "hardware" failure then it could be some form of malware/virus/rogue DHCP server running on the lan - but first check that the hardware lights are working.

Try JUST the console (with no computer) on the wired ports to see if that works.  It could be that the StoragePC, Phone, and Console all have an existing IP lease that lets them work on the internet okay, but if there is a rogue DHCP server then those devices will possibly stop working soon.

Check the lights and let us know.

Also, If the ports don't light up and you want to know if they are well and truly dead, use a Ethernet cable to connect two ports together.  Connect port 1 and 2 together and you should get them connecting at gigabit speed, other than the cable itself being bad you confirm that the ports are physically dead.

Also, modern computers can update all the time now, so unless your running some obscure software then updates can often happen without you even knowing. 

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
DizzyG
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like the problem I am having at the moment.
I have no Internet over a wired connection to my PC.
The cable is not the problem. I can access other devices on my LAN, even the router, but no Internet.
Wireless Internet is fine. My tablet is browsing happily while this is happening and if I plug in a Wifi adapter I can get Internet over that.
I have tried other ports.
I have tried powering down the router.
I have tried a router reset over the LAN.
I have tried a factory reset.
I have released my IP and renewed.
Still no wired Internet.
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If using windows then try this.

Click the start button, type cmd, right click on "cmd"/"command prompt" and select run as administrator.

Type "netsh int ip reset" into the box, without the quotes, and hit enter.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Festeraddams
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue on a hub 3. Spent half hour with tech supp on phone trying all sorts. Wi-Fi is fine 280+ meg but all wired fail. Tried new gigabit switch too. Just received my new hub... set it up and nothings changed... got great Wi-Fi and no wired.
0 Kudos
Festeraddams
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issue on a hub 3. Spent half hour with tech supp on phone trying all sorts. Wi-Fi is fine 280+ meg but all wired fail. Tried new gigabit switch too. Just received my new hub... set it up and nothings changed... got great Wi-Fi and no wired.

The lights on the router outputs are flashing green... the inputs on the switch are flashing, but not of the ports on the devices are lit up.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Festeraddams, 

Thanks for getting in touch 🙂

Sorry to hear about the problems with your connection. It's certainly strange that you can't get any wired connection! Just to confirm, you've tried different hard-wired devices and cables? Does Modem Mode make any difference?

Speak soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MeeHow
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It looks like I have exactly the same problem. Wifi both 2.4 and 5GHz working fine, but no working at all by cable, it's not cable/card/pc fault as there is same problem on 2 laptops and PC. It was working fine till today, stopped working just like that. All I get when connected by cable is "Network not identified" and can't get access to HUB 3. I tried changing cable slots, cables, multiple resets, factory reset, ReInstalling Ethernet card, deleting Wired connection on PC all with same result - NOT WORKING.

Any ideas?
I don't think my HUB could be faulty as it only has like 2 weeks, just upgraded to 350MB about 2 weeks ago

0 Kudos
flipflop
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Been the same for me since Saturday ,wired desktop and wired Xbox one won't connect but my laptop ,tablet and phone are all working through WiFi ,I posted my logs earlier today ,just waiting to see if anyone answers

0 Kudos