Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired connection not working

Hi MeeHow,

Thanks for posting on the community and apologies the Ethernet connection is now working.

When I checked your connection, there are devices showing as connected by wired.

Have you managed to get this working? If so, did you change anything?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
astalker
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I returned from hoiliday last night to find my desktop PC couldn't connect to the Internet. My iphone and iPad could! I didn't see an answer to this here, so Thought I'd post the solution that worked for me. I have a Hub 3.0 from Virgin and haven't had any problems with it.

I checked all cables, and once I was sure there were no faults in my wiring, I called support. The engineer said that all my wired connections were working (that wasn't true) and that the problem was the ip address of my PC was 169.254.x.x rather than 192.168.x.x We tried a couple of steps to change that, but couldn't. He said he'd need to transfer me to "Gadget Rescue". Fortunately, the minute they answered, the call dropped. I did some research, and found this post. Soi I knew I was not alone. I also found out that Windows assigns an ip of 169.254.x.x when the client can't find an address from the DHCP server - in this case my router! I then connected my laptop, and it worked in wireless mode. I switched wireless off (FN/F2 on my Dell laptop) and plugged in an ethernet cable. My laptop was then allocated an ip address of 169.254.x.x When I switchd the wireless back on, my wireless card showed an ip address of 192.168.x.x while my ethernet card showed 169.254.x.x So it didn't seem that I was at fault with 2 devices showing the same effect. For those who don't know, you can check your ip address by typing cmd in the search bar, right click the Command Prompt window that appears, and select Run as Administrator. In the Command window that opens, type ipconfig and your ip address will show. I had obviously tried rebooting both my PC and my router; I checked the settings of DHCP in my router using the laptop on wireless mode (I couldn't connect to the router on my desktop) and everything seemed fine. Some further research showed how to reset my router, not just rebooting. Firstly, power off your PC. Hold a paper clip or cocktail stick in the reset hole of the router (just below the ports); hold it for 20 seconds, then release and power the router off. Kepp it powered off for at least a minute, then switch back on. Hey presto, it was all working and ip addresses were correctly assigned by my router.

I hope this might help somebody else to track down the fact that the PC is not connecting because it has the wrong ip address, and how to fix that. Good luck.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The problem you had was possibly more along the lines of how things start and you just happening to start things mid-cycle.

I do not have the new Hub3 so I cant be sure it has the same faults, but generally Netgear will export their faults to the next model in line.  I know that the Hub3 was made by Netgear, not sure if they all are now.

During the startup cycle, the "Router" side of the SuperHub will issue itself a IP in a range that doesn't get used after boot, this range is really short lived BUT devices that you may be starting on the home network sometimes manage to get a IP from this sub-network.  Once the SuperHub passes a specific point in the startup cycle (It may be after it has a valid WAN IP) then the temporary IP range changes.  Any devices you had connected to that temporary range then try to renew the IP they were given (because the lease time is really short) but the DHCP server is no longer there, it is then possible for the computer to jump into the auto-configure DHCP mode (169.254.x.x range) and temporarily get stuck there.  It's been quite a while since I have dealt with this.  From the top of my head I think that once a DHCP client (Your Desktop) moves into that zeroconfig / auto-configuration state that it will then wait about 5 minutes before sending out a broadcast to search for a valid/working DHCP server again. 

So basically what I think is happening is this.

1) SuperHub starts boot, gets a LAN IP range and starts issuing DHCP calls to it.  (192.168.100.x I think), I also think the temporary lease time on this range is 2 minutes, so that means a lease will be requested by clients after 1 minute.

2) Your PC has booted and is seeking a IP, it manages to get one from 192.168.100.1 and gets issued 192.168.100.2, lease is valid for 2 minutes.

3) SuperHub keeps booting, changes the LAN IP range to what user has set, or default VM range. (usually 192.168.0.x I think).

4) 1 minute after your PC had a valid IP it then seeks to contact 192.168.100.1 using a DHCP renew, at that point the SuperHubs will not let that request go through.  (I am unsure if the actual NAT layer blocks the traffic, or if the server actually closes and gets reassigned to the new range, I just know at this point it does fail).  Your PC cant contact the DHCP server so changes to the auto-config mode.  In 5 minutes it should try again using a broadcast.

So I think that, given 5-7 minutes the PC should have corrected itself.  Rebooting the PC (and not the router) should have also cleared the problem, but I can honestly admit that I have seen some computers that want to linger in the auto-config state before. 

If all "Wired" devices fail to connect after the 5-7 minute mark then resetting the router is probably your only solution, you tried that and it worked, but this is a sign that there's a fault with the SuperHub itself, hopefully it was just a one-time startup issue, but glad it fixed it for you.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
astalker
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your detailed reply. It is good of you to go to that trouble, and is much appreciated.

Your analysis falls down, in my case, on one major issue. I practically never switch my router off, so am very rarely, if ever, powering up my PC to a newly booted router. After I had the problem, I plugged in my laptop, disabled the wifi on the laptop, and plugged in an ethernet cable. The router had been running for some hours by this time. The laptop was also allocated a 169.254.x.x address, and so failed to connect to the Internet.

Rebooting the router had no effect, but resetting did. On resetting, I always switch my PC off, and wait some time for the router to come up to speed before switching on my PC. Since posting my original message, the same happened again. Both my router and PC were on over Saturday night, and on Sunday morning I had the yellow triangle against my network connection. Checking my ip address gave me 169.254.x.x Interestingly that had happened (as it did the first time) without my PC or router being switched off. I don't know how often the ip address is reconfigured, but I'm surprised by that. That particular error has not happened again. (fingers crossed)

Since then, the wired side of my network has shown considerable problems. At times, slow does not describe it. eg when trying to update Avast, "Host unreachable"; "DNS resolve has failed", etc. My printer is connected by ethernet, and I'm unable to print a page of graphics. Uninstalling and reinstalling as a USB has solved (temporarily) that problem. Having been out for some hours, and come back, everything seems to be running to speed, but I'm not yet sure. A temporary problem? I plan to phone Virgin tomorrow, and ask them if they can check my router. But unless I get somebody who knows there stuff, and realises I'm not a novice, I'm not sure how I'll get on. I'll need to wait to be sure the network is running slowly!

If you have any thoughts on what I've said, it would be great to hear from you. Thanks again for your input.

Allan

0 Kudos
Hamsolo77
Joining in
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Pretty sure I'm having the exact same issue... Virgin support were clueless.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@astalker

I would never use a printer to test the quality of a network.

From my experience, I think that they design the darned things to break more than work.  I can log into my printer and upload a file to memory to print, but if I go to print using windows tells me it's offline.  I hate printers ;P...

It sounds to me like the SuperHub is faulty and needs replacing. (hopefully this has happened by now?).  Modem Mode with a stand-alone router would probably fix things too, but I would request a SuperHub replacement.  Not getting a Valid IP at all over and over like your saying is a indication that the DHCP server on the SuperHub is failing.

You MIGHT be able to work around it by setting up the IP address, Gateway, and DNS servers manually (Using DNS other than the SH).  But I would request a new SuperHub.  169.254.x.x indicates that there is a working physical link, so new Superhub.

@Hamsolo

Start your own thread on this, it's likely to get more attention.  Detail what's broken and how you have checked it.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos