cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will wifi Pods work with channel optimisation disabled?

sjr202
Joining in

Hi

I've had my pods for 2 weeks, the first week they wouldnt connect until Virgin realised my Hub 4 has channel optimisation disabled, they told me to reactive this despite the fact that several devices around the home randomly lose connectivity in this mode (Sky, Naim speaker, security cameras, Nest). So I enabled and the Pod worked well, in the past few days 4 devices have gone offline, disabling the channel optimisation brought all these devices back online but the pod now is 'searching' for wifi.

1) Does the pod not work unless the hub has channel optimisation enabled? 

2) If so, why has VM created a product which isnt compatible with all settings of their own hub? 

Thanks, I'll look forward to suggestions on here as 4 phone calls with tech support it seems the Pod is newer than some of the info they have available. Probably will return it soon. 

3 REPLIES 3

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Channel optimisation is part of the Intelligent WiFi features of the Hub. Pods are part of Intelligence WiFi Plus so build on the existing features and expect them to be enabled.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-existing-customer

Intelligent WiFi exists on our Hub 3 and Hub 4 and is designed to automatically sort WiFi issues. Intelligent WiFi Plus comes with enhanced Intelligent WiFi, plus our shiny new WiFi Pods, which work hand in hand with our Hubs to extend your home WiFi signal to reach potential blackspots, and adapt to your WiFi needs.

The support also makes it clear it needs to be on

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-pods-faqs#Troubleshooting

If you’re still having trouble with the WiFi Pods, your WiFi settings might not be set up correctly. For optimum performance for the WiFi Pods:

1. You shouldn’t have split network names (SSIDs)
2. You should have channel optimisation switched on
3. Your Virgin Media Hub shouldn’t be in modem mode

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks Ben

Useful info but the problem lie's with I can either have a Pod OR connectivity to various devices. I cant have both which sort of defeats the point of the extender and wifi. Whether the channel optimisation is an advancement of tech or not, the pod cant work with a setting that VM Hubs can facilitate which suggests to me this pod is not suitable for all customers. I'd have thought the product testers would have tried to make their own product work with all or almost all settings (understand for modem mode its unlikely) of their own equipment, especially the new Hub 4. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sjr202 wrote:

<snip>  . I'd have thought the product testers would have tried to make their own product work with all or almost all settings (understand for modem mode its unlikely) of their own equipment, especially the new Hub 4. 

The Pods are rebadged Plume units and, AFAIK, the Plume firmware was bolted into the original Hub's firmware to get the "Intelligence" working.  The issue being some IoT does not like a single SSID and they will not work.  Who is to blame? No idea.

However to save your sanity, can I suggest you dump the Pods and invest in your own IT wifi kit.  It will belong to you and you will have control over the hardware.  Personally I use my own PoE Access Points, have several IoT devices and don't have any wifi issues. 

It's really up to you and I understand peoples reticence to spend more money,  but I made the choice to do so.  I can move ISP's with the knowledge that wifi coverage will never be a worry, and everything will just work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks