cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the new Virgin Hub 5 work with Ring doorbell 2 & Ring Cameras?

FedUpOfBranson
Tuning in

I’m having trouble with my old Virgin Hub 3 and the WiFi keeps dropping off randomly for short periods. Had a Tech visit & he replaced the cable connector & fitted a plug in booster. He said that if this didn’t solve the issue then it was most likely my old Virgin Hub 3 that needed replacement. 
I read online that the newer Virgin Hub 4 doesn’t like Ring products & wont connect to them. Is the newest Virgin Hub 5 the same or have they now solved this issue?
I have a ring doorbell 2, ring spotlight cam & a ring stick up cam. My only option to resolve my poor Wi-Fi issues is to replace the hub with a newer one. But I can’t if the new one won’t connect to my ring devices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just use the hub in modem mode and with a better wifi router have 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The newer Hubs are no better - have you tried this...

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply. The Virgin Tech split the Wi-Fi into 5GHz & 2.4GHz. He suggested I connect  the ring cameras & doorbell to the 2.4GHz, which I did. They work ok but my WiFi in general is unreliable & keeps going off. It’s been like this for over a year now & the engineer said I may need a new replacement hub as mine might be knackered. 
I’m worried that if I get a replacement hub such as the new Hub 5 they are offering me, then it wont work at all with my Ring Cameras.

Just use the hub in modem mode and with a better wifi router have 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The only "guaranteed" way of getting perfect wifi into every nook and cranny of your property is to remove all VM wifi equipment from the equation and take total control, by using the Hub in modem mode with your own router and wireless equipment. Many on here do this, I did it ~20 years ago.

If you want to consider this then post back and we will give some pointers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, some pointers on how to do this would be great thank you so much! The WiFi signal is strong in all areas of the house (& at the ring cameras outside) Unfortunately the WiFi keeps going off, even next to the hub the WiFi goes off then comes back on. The Virgin Tech said the hub is probably knackered. If I get a new Hub5 then it sounds like the idea of using separate Router & putting new hub in modem mode is my only option if I want to keep my ring doorbell & cameras. 

Any advice you can offer would be great! Thank you. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I did... on your other thread 🙂

To avoid confusion just post on one or the other from now on - or I could merge them?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi. Hub5 installed yesterday. Ring doorbell will not connect. Split into two 2.4g and5g connections, still not working. Any suggestions or i’ll be cancelling virgin broadband! 

Hi, an alternative thought. I did a bit of research on video doorbells and came to the conclusion that although a lot of the motivation for installing one is for security, the majority of people install Wi-Fi type camera doorbells (your average Ring) which are vulnerable.  For me fitting Wi-Fi based security products is a contradictory practice, as all that's needed is to swamp the area with a Wi-Fi freq jammer and goodbye security devices.  Ring do make an ethernet cable connected model, the Elite and if I was forced to use the manufacturer Ring, that's the one I'd fit.  Actually, I think a Hikvision rig would give you a better secure bang for your buck but that's just me.  That would be one way of getting around the Wi-Fi issues.  I think ditching your ISP might be throwing the baby out with the bath water.