cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the cabling to the property need changed?

archiemad_1
Joining in

Hello, 

Im swapping from Sky Broadband to Virgin Media Broadand (Sky can only provide a meer 20 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload) and because they use different infrastructure I am wondering if the cabling to the property will need to be changed. It is not fibre if that helps. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

RedAndWhite
On our wavelength

Yes, VM have their own network and use their own cables. Your current phone wires in the house will more than likely become obsolete, but the engineer should ask where you want your hub installed. My TV box is on the other side of the room to my broadband hub, and for me personally worked out better as my BT socket is located behind the couch anyway!

This video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnmrV43h18

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lexXQGJtvpo

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@archiemad_1 wrote:

Hello, 

Im swapping from Sky Broadband to Virgin Media Broadand (Sky can only provide a meer 20 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload) and because they use different infrastructure I am wondering if the cabling to the property will need to be changed. It is not fibre if that helps. 

Any help will be appreciated. 

95% of Virgins local network is not fibre to home either. It’s termed HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial). This is fibre to node cabinet with coax running the last 500 metres or so through a chain of slave cabinets. While standard copper telephone lines will struggle with 1Gb Broadband, VMs coax is capable of carrying 10 times that much on the downstream side. Upstream is either 10% or 20% of download.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thankyou for your help. I've chosen the self instalation kit for the broadband so I'm guessing I will have to most likley book an engineer to install it. I'll wait and see if the self instalation kit is actually self instalation but if it is not then i'll call virgin to get an engineer out to do it. Unless you think it might be worth booking and engineer immediately rather than waiting? 

Thankyou for the help. 

If Virgin have agreed to a self installation, it means they have a record of a previous installation at that property, which means there should be a cable from the street. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.