cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

Jamieusher29
Tuning in

Hi is there anyone that can help. I pay for the M500 broadband but the wifi is just terrible. Upstairs it keeps dropping all the time and kicking us off everything. I check the speeds regularly and everyday around 4pm the download speeds goes to 20mb? Surely that's no right and I'm not really sure what to do. Even if I've hard wired some of the devices, ps and tvs. They are still lagging and jumping. I cant seam to get a hold of anyone at virgin to help. I was advised to upgrade to the M500 to help but its actually worse than the last speed I was on and a lot more money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So just to clarify what you said, are the issues only evident on wifi connected devices or do you see them at the same times on the devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check/look to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it (Hub3/4/5?) and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

And do a quick check for any known faults, try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

If nothing reports there come back and we can ask yoiu to post up all of the Hub connection data

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It's just a wifi issue this happens every night from 4pm onwards, doesn't matter what is connect, our phones, smart tvs or consoles they all drop out and lag. And have numerous crashes every night. I have the hub 3 on the M500. The lights are all off just the white light at the bottom. I check that every night but it always says there is no faults. Just not sure what to do as I have only upgraded recently as was on M200 but it actually feels worse. I have the connect app and it says the WiFi is fine but it just keeps crashing everything, I live in a 2 bedroom house and it's not the biggest so nothing is really far from router anyways. Any help would greatly appreciate

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Jamieusher29,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for any issues with your Wi-Fi. 

Are you also having the same issues on your wired connection?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would say you should but the Hub into modem mode and use your own better quality router/wireless equipment - I did that 20 years ago

But it would be worth trying this first....

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3 wifi issues for certain devices.
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings. 

Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.