cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

mattman73
On our wavelength

Please can someone tell me without any of the usual get new access point.

How do you get the WiFi on the super hub 4 to work, I'm sat in the same room and on my Samsung s21 ultra and the WiFi keeps dropping and there is nothing I can do to fix the issue.

I also have 6 smart switches that will not work with the super hub 4.

I have never know a more crap broadband router. 

I just wish I have cancelled the contract as soon as I realised how **bleep** the virgin media super hubs are both 3 and 4.

I still might as the hub is not fit for purpose. 

Next stop cancellation phone line.

If nothing else I have a very nice looking door stop. 

8 REPLIES 8

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you are in the 14 day cooling off period you can cancel at no cost if not its going to cost you money - poor wifi will not get you out of your contract

that apart have you split the wifi bands - you certainly need to do that for smart switches and whilst you are doing that turn off smart wifi or what ever its called on the hub4

Tony.
Sacked VIP

mattman73
On our wavelength

Hi Tony

I so wish I was still within the 14 days, but due to VM first sending out a Not so Super hub 3 I had to wait two weeks before I got the Not so Super hub 4, only to discover that this is just as poor at WiFi as the Not so super hub 3.

Thanks for the heads up on the configuration but believe me when I say I have done everything I can to get this sorted but the WiFi is so poor that the Not so super hub 4 will not reach a room that is above the hub.

I can not believe that Virgin Media can get away with such a sh*t hardware.

I do believe that if I can not cancel on the grounds that the hub is not fit for purpose I will be forced to buy a new WiFi hub.

One thing I will be doing in 18 months time is leaving Virgin Media.

Matt

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

sending a hub4 is a pretty poor response to wifi issues - tey are about the same - personally i think the 4 is marginally better but no match for a 3rd party wifi router - they do the pods but they are only free on the 1gig package and one other top of the range package - for others they are £5 a month which imo is a poor deal - spend that money on a router or mesh system that will be yours if and when you leave

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mattman73,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for raising this issue with us.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your WiFi connection, I have looked into your account and cannot see anything that would be causing this from the hub connection to the network side of things.

I have also checked the local area network and that also shows no issues at all, do you have issues with any wired connections to your hub?

Please could you also set up a broadband quality monitor, using this site here this can help us determine if there are any issues that we cannot see at the moment. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven

Thank you for checking but the issue I believe is not the broadband network it is the crap router that Virgin Media are using as I said before the issue is around the WiFi, namely 2.4ghz smart switches as they are unable to connect to the WiFi due to something in the WiFi setup along with the crap signal range.

I have temporarily set up a WiFi access point and connected the smart switches to this and this, in turn, is connected to the 'Not so super hub' and all six of the smart switches are working with no drop in WiFi so this does lead me to feel the 'Not so super hub' 3 or 4 is the issue and along with how crap the signal is around the house, I have no choice now but to look at a more long term solution by means of purchasing a WiFi access point at my cost due to I'm now tied into an 18-month contract but believe me, once this has ended I'm leaving Virgin Media or if there are any other broadband providers out there that are happy to buy me out of the contract then please get in touch happy to sign a 24-month contract as long as your router WiFi works.

Glad you mentioned the wired network as I have a Linux server running 24/7 and this is hardwired and the connection is dropping out every couple of minutes.

Once I get around to purchasing the WiFi access point I will be looking at clamming the cost back from Virgin Media.

If anyone is reading this and are thinking about getting VM with the 'Not so super hub' please don't

Matt

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly the Hub3 and Hub4 have never been called SuperHubs by VM .

As to the WiFi problems, the hubs transmit one combined SSID for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. A lot of WiFi devices do not like this and will not work. What you need to do is go into the hub on 192.168.0.1 and in the settings give the two bands different names like xxx-2 and xxx-5. Also turn off intelligent WiFi. Now try connecting your smart plugs to the xxx-2 SSID. While you are in the hub settings you could post the up/downstream stats and network log and we can take a look to see if there are any visible underlying problems.

The above splitting of the names cannot be done if you get VM pods.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

mattman73
On our wavelength

Hi Tudor

Thanks for the pointers but I have done all that you have said before and they do refer to it as a super hub well the salesman did.

Matt

I offered you

1. Talk weekends
  2. 213 mbps fibre unlimited (super hub 4.0)
  3. 15GB SIM
  4. 8GB SIM
  5. £XX.XX fixed rate for 18 months
  6. No set up cost

https://my.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/your-broadband/connecting/hubs/

When I'm home I will look at posting the log file.

Matt

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me @mattman73

Did you manage to set up a BQM as suggested by Steve in an earlier post. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M