Menu
Robbod
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Wifi speed has fallen since upgrade

I was "upgraded" on Friday from 150 to 200Mbs. Since then my wifi - at differing times of the day - has fallen from an average 164Mbs to less than 100. The tech team said that the speed into my Superhub is indeed 200Mbs but they have no control over the wifi speed I experience. We - the customers - are paying for the speed into the hub and NOT what we actually experience in our homes! This can't be right. Can someone from Virginmedia explain why we should pay for a premium service but get sub-standard service?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed has fallen since upgrade

Maybe you can explain how VM can control what wireless clients you use, or your what settings you have set the hu to, or how far you are from the hub when you use them, or what other wireless network are around you, or what electrical gadgets are around you, or the topography of your home, or how you arrange your furniture?

All can affect wireless speed, all VM can do is supply a "pipe" to the internet and increasing the size of the pipe is just a new config file that has nothing to with wireless reception.

If you can receive headline speed 24\7 then VM are providing a service but  it is up to you to use suitable equipment able to receive these speeds i.e. a device equipped with a gigabit ethernet card connrcted directly to the hub by a CAT 5E or better Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
Robbod
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi speed has fallen since upgrade

Finally got through to someone who knew what they were doing at VM. He ran a test on my superhub and said something was running below normal levels.  He asked me to hold the reset button in for >90 seconds and when it reset I was getting the speed I was paying for. Why the other tech guy couldn't do this, I don't know.

0 Kudos