cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed 2.4ghz :(

asherdw1986
Joining in

Hi Guys,

I'm going to start with the details I know. Bit of a newb so go easy on me.

Parents virgin hub has always been an issue. They had it replaced but still have the same wifi speed issues.

They are on Virgin business wifi with expected speeds above 500mb. Sometimes speeds can be as low as 10mb which is aweful. We've tried rebooting and resetting. Initially the speeds are boosted to 600mb after reboot/reset. Within a day or so they revert back to the old speeds. 

My findings:

- I have managed to get some form of consistent high speeds on 5ghz by rebooting and ensuring all ethernet devices are removed (ikea smart home/ mac computer and AP).

- 2.4ghz speeds are consistanly as low as 20mb. We have a few devices in the home such as sky q and ps4 which can only use this band. 

I'd like to know how I can fix these low speeds on 2.4ghz. Ive had a play about with the bands, channel, Hz. none have made a difference

I have noticed a few errors in the logs each time we've rebooted and left the hub to run a couple of days. When I get home I'll post those errors. Some of which mention TLV issues , T3 and MIMO. 

Do let me know if there's any specific logs which you'd like to see . 

thanks in advance

Ash

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Hero

Rebooting the Hub often make little difference as when the Hub restarts and re-connects to the same services as was there 5 mins ago.

600Mb/s and 20Mb/s are mentioned in the thread, these must be a computer network connected and a WiFi device.

On the 2.4 Ghz band  20 to 50 Mb/s is about the norm for WiFi direct from the Hub.   Note using 2.4Ghz WiFi extenders can halve this for each hop.

5Ghz WiFi is faster but requires more access points to cover a building as the ability to pass through solid walls is poor.

What you see in a speed test of a wired computer is reasonable guide of the connection rate.    http://speed.googlefiber.net/

thanks for the quick reply. 

Are you saying that the VM hub cannot support higher speeds on 2.4ghz or any router?

I cant believe that its not possible to reach the speeds I'm paying for  sky q and ps4 via wifi. 

Ideally I dont want to relocate the hub. I'm open to changing the setup if somebody can recommend another router or mesh setup which would allow me to maximise speeds across 2.4 and 5ghz. The house isn't massive, its a converted bungalow albeit with solid brick internal walls downstairs.

Ash

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As it’s a VM business connection there are very few people on the board who have experience of their hubs. This board is for residential customers and they have different hubs to the business side. VM staff will be unable to help you as they have no access to VM business accounts and details. You really need to contact VM business. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Are you saying that the VM hub cannot support higher speeds on 2.4ghz or any router?

Best practice is operate 2.4Ghz with 20Mhz Channel width, this give good range but about 50Mb/s is the limit for 802.11n

I cant believe that its not possible to reach the speeds I'm paying for sky q and ps4 via wifi.

It is possible to reach the speeds you pay for, but it is up  to your kit to configured / connected to use the data in a meaningful manner.

A fast internet connections delivers best results over network cables and to several devices doing actual work at the same time  i.e. not just a single device burning shared network bandwidth in search of one perfect speed test.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello asherdw1986.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry you have not been able to get sufficient speeds on your hub.

Can I please ask if this is a business or residential account?

Gareth_L