cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed 1m from hub3

shk53
On our wavelength

I recently checked my Mother in Laws newly installed VM box wifi speed and was gobsmacked at getting nearly 100Mbps, a wifi speed some 3m away, a single phone connected to her wifi that I was holding.  I have a twin ariel WAP installed in my LAN { using a 1000Mbps network card} and it has been on a timer for some years now for a number of reasons - and my wifi on my hub 3 box disabled for a few years now {wifi drops outs I was sick of and the location of the hub is not the best tbf}. My eldest daughter also with VM gets 80 - 90Mbps in her house. I did not think till now that these speeds were possible on WiFi.

So, I only get 25-35Mbps 1m from my twin arieled WAP so I have done some investigations. Unplugged WAP, re-instated VM hub wifi - still 25-35MBps average result. Disconnected cable to my LAN switch from my hub, still same. Disabled Wifi on VM hub, plugged WAP into VM hub so that is the ONLY device plugged into it - speed still same. My speed checks are using two different speed checker site {one that VM recommend} and I run several tests, always 1m away from wifi hub or WAP. I have tried a fixed channel wifi selection on my WAP {I have the Wifi channel app on my phone} which is more reliable but does not increase the speed, and I have gone back to auto channel selection.  My ethernet speed via cable to my PC is a little down recently but is still 100 - 130Mbps. Cables tight into VM hub and wall box, VM box rebooted. My WAP has a fixed IP address so I can easily go into the admin etc. I am on a 200Mbps connection.

Why is my Wifi stuck at the 30Mbps average ish speed 1m from my WAP or VM hub? Even late at night its this same speed. It is useable but would be nice to get a higher speed  say 50 or 60Mbps and that way my booster which is half way down my garden would see more speed and would boost to my cabin better which is at the bottom of my garden. I have thought about putting VM hub into modem mode, my devices are 2.4GHz only.

Advice appreciated....

20 REPLIES 20

sophist
Trouble shooter

@shk53 wrote:

UPDATE: Been to my Mother in Laws today and whilst I was there I quickly did a few speed tests on her Wifi to prove my mobile and prove the speed test {as I used a different speed test on her mobile a week or so ago].  Result 111/112Mbps 3m from hub and the same in her kitchen, that's nearly 3x my wifi speed 1m from my VM hub3 or from my WAP.

your WAP is a 2.4hz device only. it also only has a 10/100mb network interface..

it's possible that there's more interference at your property than your mother in law's.

i'd say that this is within the realms of acceptable performance based on the hardware you have..  

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@shk53 wrote:

My WAP is a TP Link TL-WA801ND 300Mbps

Not really a WAP more a cheap old one look to get a real WAP😎

---------------------------------------------------------------

shk53
On our wavelength

Thanks for your input - I suppose it may be interference then as I am sure at my Mother in Laws it will be 2.4Ghz and her mobile phone is several years old.

Cheers

Simon

shk53
On our wavelength

Such as?

sophist
Trouble shooter

@shk53 wrote:

Such as?

this is what i use. been faultless for the last 5 years.

alternatively, you could buy a decent router, use the hub in modem mode. 

really depends on budget.

shk53
On our wavelength

Device is described as 300Mbps so I'm not sure where you get 10/100Mbps from?, I would be happier with 70/80Mbps on the wifi, but as you day interference or something else I have not found is restricting this device AND my VM box with nothing else going out of it ie ethernet cable unplugged.  I would be sick as a dog to spend £120 on a decent WAP only to find that too was kicking out 30-40Mbps.

shk53
On our wavelength

Update:  Been to my Mother in Laws armed with my WAP whilst doing some essential small plumbing job for her.  Plugged into the back of her new hub using my original network name and password {and its on auto channel now}. Tested several times using  two different test sites, 1m away = result still 35/38Mbps average. Tested my Mother in Laws a few times 100Mbps+.  So its not interference at my house, and would appear to be my equipment AND my virgin Hub3 which is restricting my Wifi speed at home - as you and others have correctly suggested. Dam.  Oh and Iv'e recently tried my Hub Wifi after an alleged WiFi {disabling my WAP} "enhancement intelligent upgrade" - still same speed.

Is the TP-Link AC1350 any good as a cheaper alt? Thanks for the help guys.

Could be interference. Depends how many other SSID's are broadcasting around you.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

shk53
On our wavelength

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN or this model?

shk53
On our wavelength

Thanks for your suggestion but it can be interference at my house - I have taken my WAP to my Mother in Laws and experienced the same low speed, yet her wifi speed is high.