cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed 1m from hub3

shk53
On our wavelength

I recently checked my Mother in Laws newly installed VM box wifi speed and was gobsmacked at getting nearly 100Mbps, a wifi speed some 3m away, a single phone connected to her wifi that I was holding.  I have a twin ariel WAP installed in my LAN { using a 1000Mbps network card} and it has been on a timer for some years now for a number of reasons - and my wifi on my hub 3 box disabled for a few years now {wifi drops outs I was sick of and the location of the hub is not the best tbf}. My eldest daughter also with VM gets 80 - 90Mbps in her house. I did not think till now that these speeds were possible on WiFi.

So, I only get 25-35Mbps 1m from my twin arieled WAP so I have done some investigations. Unplugged WAP, re-instated VM hub wifi - still 25-35MBps average result. Disconnected cable to my LAN switch from my hub, still same. Disabled Wifi on VM hub, plugged WAP into VM hub so that is the ONLY device plugged into it - speed still same. My speed checks are using two different speed checker site {one that VM recommend} and I run several tests, always 1m away from wifi hub or WAP. I have tried a fixed channel wifi selection on my WAP {I have the Wifi channel app on my phone} which is more reliable but does not increase the speed, and I have gone back to auto channel selection.  My ethernet speed via cable to my PC is a little down recently but is still 100 - 130Mbps. Cables tight into VM hub and wall box, VM box rebooted. My WAP has a fixed IP address so I can easily go into the admin etc. I am on a 200Mbps connection.

Why is my Wifi stuck at the 30Mbps average ish speed 1m from my WAP or VM hub? Even late at night its this same speed. It is useable but would be nice to get a higher speed  say 50 or 60Mbps and that way my booster which is half way down my garden would see more speed and would boost to my cabin better which is at the bottom of my garden. I have thought about putting VM hub into modem mode, my devices are 2.4GHz only.

Advice appreciated....

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

@shk53 wrote:

my devices are 2.4GHz only.

Most likely because this. ^^

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

per the reply from @tudor what is the make/model of your WAP?

It sounds like you're getting OK(ish) speed from the hub when you connect your PC over ethernet (i mean, i would expect better on a 200mbps connection, but the fact that you're getting >100 means that the connection is capable of those speeds...)

It's also reasonable to assume that the WAP is negotiating at least a 100mb connection to the hub (it should be gig, but doesn't really matter at this stage whether it is or isn't given that you're not currently limited by it).

So that leaves the WAP and/or the devices that are connecting to it.  A year-old mobile phone.. i'd kinda expect that to be AC capable, but maybe it isn't..

is your WAP AC capable, and do you have any AC devices that you can test with?

if necessary, configure the WAP to broadcast different SSIDs for the 2.4 & 5ghz bands and force a connection onto the 5ghz to see if there's any difference..

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

sophist
Trouble shooter

@shk53 wrote:

my devices are 2.4GHz only.

Most likely because this. ^^

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You do not specify what make/model of equipment you are using and have you checked out the Ethernet cables? On my Ubiquiti WAP I’m currently getting 547M down and 37M up on this iPad Pro.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

shk53
On our wavelength

My Mother in Laws devices are 2.4GHz?

shk53
On our wavelength

Cat 6 from WAP to VM hub.  Speed tests done on a mobile phone that is a year old, and also on an old Apple ipad.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@shk53 wrote:

My Mother in Laws devices are 2.4GHz?

On the 100M package?

---------------------------------------------------------------

per the reply from @tudor what is the make/model of your WAP?

It sounds like you're getting OK(ish) speed from the hub when you connect your PC over ethernet (i mean, i would expect better on a 200mbps connection, but the fact that you're getting >100 means that the connection is capable of those speeds...)

It's also reasonable to assume that the WAP is negotiating at least a 100mb connection to the hub (it should be gig, but doesn't really matter at this stage whether it is or isn't given that you're not currently limited by it).

So that leaves the WAP and/or the devices that are connecting to it.  A year-old mobile phone.. i'd kinda expect that to be AC capable, but maybe it isn't..

is your WAP AC capable, and do you have any AC devices that you can test with?

if necessary, configure the WAP to broadcast different SSIDs for the 2.4 & 5ghz bands and force a connection onto the 5ghz to see if there's any difference..

shk53
On our wavelength

Yes on the 100Mbps package,.

shk53
On our wavelength

Im going to my Mpther in laws today to do a job outside for her I will pop my head around the door and do a speed test on my mobile phone to eliminate that if it reads a high speed {I think it will as her mobile did and its quite old}.  My WAP is a TP Link TL-WA801ND 300Mbps.  It just seems strange that my WAP and VM hub independantly can only give out 30-35Mbps 1m away on Wifi, and my WAP is in a different location to my VM hub and has been moved about the house.

shk53
On our wavelength

UPDATE: Been to my Mother in Laws today and whilst I was there I quickly did a few speed tests on her Wifi to prove my mobile and prove the speed test {as I used a different speed test on her mobile a week or so ago].  Result 111/112Mbps 3m from hub and the same in her kitchen, that's nearly 3x my wifi speed 1m from my VM hub3 or from my WAP.