Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi security - please help

My ex husband has given my 10 year old a phone without my consent. My 10 year old connected it to my Virgin wifi. I don't mind him doing this at the moment as he can keep in touch with all his friends via What'sapp, zoom etc. However, I'm really worried about my ex sitting in his car outside my house and accessing my wifi through my son's phone which will have the wifi and password stored in it now. He works in IT and is extremely knowledgeable. He is a nasty piece of work and I do not trust him an inch. He was reading my emails and spying on me through a webcam previously so I really don't want him to be able to get to my laptop/email/ipad etc. I'm not hugely technical. Can I make it such that my 10year old can use the phone on the wifi but that access is restricted somehow and can not even see any of the other devices that are in the house? Is there a way to make a guest or second account and use that for the phone? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi security - please help

then change your wifi password and factory reset the phone

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

not sure I'm explaining it well - sorry! I don't own the phone - my ex does. I need my son to be able to use it on my wifi. How do I do that without allowing someone technically savvy to use that phone to gain access to other things on my wifi network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

without control of the device and knowing what you are doing anything on your network can access the internal network. You can't stop it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

so there is nothing I can do? I can't set up a separate part of my wifi like a guest account for my son's phone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can turn on the guest network. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

and change the wifi password. if he has access to the phone remotely he already has the wifi password

0 Kudos