cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi router in cupboard

Waveyx
Tuning in

Should the wifi router have been installed in a cupboard next to the electricity circuit breaker board? This is where the engineer originally installed it and there have been wifi issues ever since. Several complaints, several new/reconditioned routers and even an engineer visit (who stated the router shouldn’t be in the cupboard) and the router is still in then cupboard.

Still poor wifi signal. Can we do anything apart from move the router which Virgin will charge us for doing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Waveyx

This is not good to read at all 

For what reason it was installed in an electrical cupboard is beyond me 

Would you like me to take a look at getting this hub relocated for you 

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect a long Ethernet cable to the hub in modem mode with your own wireless router with 1Gb ports where you want.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
How long since it was installed there?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Over 10 years, constant problems. Last engineer agreed it had been fitted in the wrong place but Virgin still refuse to accept that and want to charge for moving it. TV and digital box in a different room 20 feet away. Honestly, think the original installation team put it there as they didn’t want to feed the cable through the roof space, which is weird as they’d just put the tv cables through the same space!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I think your chances of getting it rectified for free after 10 years aren't great - but you never know!

They will charge £99 for a Tech to come and reinstall the Hub in a new location of your choosing and balance all the power levels. They wont go into roof spaces or work at heights (H&S!). If you want the Hub in a place with cables the there then you should prepare for the new install by installing your own conduit tubing containing "pull ropes" (strong string!) so they can pull the cable fro where it enters the property to the location of the Hub. I would also install a couple of Cat6 ethernet cables so that you can connect equipment (TV,etc) to the Hub on those for future proofing.

A VM person should comment on here in a day or so.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Waveyx

This is not good to read at all 

For what reason it was installed in an electrical cupboard is beyond me 

Would you like me to take a look at getting this hub relocated for you 

Gareth_L

It’s not my hub it’s my father in laws hub.

it would be lovely to get it relocated if possible and get the wifi working properly and enable him to plug his smart tv in to.

when the latest complaint was dealt with Virgin we’re going to charge him £99 to move it, will this still be the case, bearing in mind it was originally installed there by the engineer?

Thanks for replying Waveyx

So I can get some details off you for your Father in Laws account etc 

I will need to send you a private 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L

Thanks for all your help with this

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Was it relocated?

VM dropped the price last year to a much more reasonable £25 fee for relocation.

--------------------
John
--------------------