cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi rename on HUB 4

paulbean
On our wavelength

Hi,

Any idea when we'll get a firmware update to resolve the issues caused when renaming the wifi SSID?

Cheers!

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the exact problem? Do you have pods? Are you trying to split the bands?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

paulbean
On our wavelength

No Pods, I use my own homeplug repeaters (TPLink). I changed the wifi SSID to match my repeaters (these worked perfectly fine with my old HUB 3) and it is causing connection issues even with wired connections.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @paulbean,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your Hub 4 connection.

I understand that you're connecting some third party equipment to your Virgin Media Hub. Please be aware that we cannot support third party devices and can only provide support for our own equipment. If you'd like us to run some further checks on your Hub 4, we would need to ask you to disconnect your third party devices and revert the Hub 4 settings to normal for at least 24 hours before we can run further checks. 

Our Community will be able to provide further support on third party equipment if needed.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina,

There is absolutely no point in resetting my hub for 24 hours for you to run a test to tell me everything is fine when the problems are caused by changing the wireless SSID.

It's not the third party equipment that is the problem. Just changing the wifi ssid from the default causes the issues, from reading the forum this has been an issue for quite some time now and really should've been resolved with a firmware update by now.

If it was a brand new Hub that had only just been released I could understand but the Hub 4 has been out for a while now and still no solution.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Turn off smart WiFi. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Go get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

paulbean
On our wavelength

That's my point though, VM should have to either a) sort it out or b) fund routers/access points that are required because of their poor hubs. Why should I, and many others, be out of pocket because VM can't fix their hardware?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its never going to be fixed VM don't see the problem as long as default work well enough wire as wireless is not supported by VM its just a bonus should it work.

VM might as well remove stuff from router mode to the bear minimum making it easy for people to just use modem mode that VM should only support.

A new router will set you back around £50 and thats due to years of people needing them and with that more support and stuff that works.
---------------------------------------------------------------