cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi reach awful

brawlin
Joining in

So I’ve recently set up my wifi in my living room. 18 steps away is my bedroom at the other end of the apartment where I can’t get any connection. When I’m connected in the living room the speed for download and upload is great, but why can’t it reach my bedroom? Surely I don’t have to get a wifi extender for such a small place? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stobbsy74
Superfast

Yes, it sucks that bad.

The only thing I can suggest, is try positioning the hub facing the bedroom, away from other electrical devices as much as you can and not hiding the hub in a cabinet or behind other objects.

Its just another way of Virgin Media trying to milk its customers, give out sub par and inferior equipment so they have to pay an extra £5 or whatever it is these days, per extender per month.

A lot of people, buy there own 3rd party wifi equipment, as in the long run it is often cheaper and usually far superior in reliability and performance.

I agree people shouldn't have to, especially with the amount of money Virgin Media charge for their broadband.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@brawlin wrote:

So I’ve recently set up my wifi in my living room. 18 steps away is my bedroom at the other end of the apartment where I can’t get any connection. When I’m connected in the living room the speed for download and upload is great, but why can’t it reach my bedroom? Surely I don’t have to get a wifi extender for such a small place? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

The distance is less important than what is actually in between the two? At least one wall, what's it made of? Some walls have metallic foil as thermal insulation and that'll play havoc with a WiFi signal. So yes, you may well need a wifi extender - but what tier are you on with VM, if you are on a tier which allows you free WiFi pods then it's a no-brainer to try them. On the other hand, if you need to pay the extra £8 per month, then that's really poor value and you would be far better off purchasing you own solution, which you would be free to keep and use on another provider's service in the future.

Stobbsy74
Superfast

Yes, it sucks that bad.

The only thing I can suggest, is try positioning the hub facing the bedroom, away from other electrical devices as much as you can and not hiding the hub in a cabinet or behind other objects.

Its just another way of Virgin Media trying to milk its customers, give out sub par and inferior equipment so they have to pay an extra £5 or whatever it is these days, per extender per month.

A lot of people, buy there own 3rd party wifi equipment, as in the long run it is often cheaper and usually far superior in reliability and performance.

I agree people shouldn't have to, especially with the amount of money Virgin Media charge for their broadband.

I would also possibly download a wifi analyser for your phone, and have a look at the wifi channel situation, ie are there neighbours on the same channel and are there any clear, or less used channels that you can swap to.

It may be that you have neighbours on the same channel nearby, which would cause interference with your wifi signal.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @brawlin thanks for your post here, although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding WiFi.

As mentioned by @jem101 there can be many external factors that influence WiFi, such as thick walls as one. As mentioned too, if you're on a Volt or 1GB package, the Intelligent WiFi Pods are free of charge, but if you're not then they are £8 a month.

If you need any support with this, please see here and also let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W