cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi pods

archie99
Joining in

VM intelligent wifi pods for use with Hub3 , are they any good?

kind regards

Archie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes... but....See this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat function (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes... but....See this

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat function (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I don't have 1gb volt just 200M but have hub3. So I would have to pay the £5 per month.

The attraction is that they SEEM to be easy to set up!

kind regards

Archie

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes its £5/month for life on a 200 package - or spend ~£40-100 to sort it permanently with your own equipment. All of which are easy to set up.

What Wifi issues are you having and what size/layout of property do you live in - and what is it made from - thick stone walls? iron rich Victorian bricks etc?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Recently had 2 samsung TV's installed  getting some latency/buffering on the bits that use wifi ie samsung tv plus and britbox etc but its rather intermittant.

The TV's are in my front and back room. (wifi signal is weakest in front room back room is slightly better) my router (Hub3 ) is upstairs in my office.

During this hot weather ii's been better!. House is 1930's build single brick walls no cavity walls.

kind regards

Archie

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Look at the TP-Link Deco S4 or M4 3-pack - both less than a hundred quid and should sort it.

Or if you dont mind running Cat6a ethernet cable from the Hub - get 2 of these - for a better and cheaper solution at 2 other locations

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------