cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi pods band split

Spacebucks
Dialled in

Hi, I’ve got some virgin wifi pods to go with my hub 3. They are all connected up and appear to be working, however I prefer to spilt the bands 2.4g and 5g so I can choose between the two for different devices. I had done this already in my router settings before getting the pods but have read the pods don’t work if bands are split. Is this correct? I’m wandering if the pods are actually working or I’m just imagining it.  They seem to be but I have the bands split so am I completely wrong? I have channel optimization turned on. Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes.... you cannot split bands with working pods.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. It’s really odd as they do seem to be making a difference even though I have the bands split. I also have one plugged in upstairs with an Ethernet cable to my computer so I can use internet rather than the computers wifi and that works. Perhaps they work like wifi extenders if bands split  but not the intelligent bit where they search for best connection etc 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They need the bands combined when they are working as a mesh, that is communicating together. If you Ethernet cable them back to the hub they will work as just a wireless access points and in this case there is no need for the bands to be combined.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

As the other two members have said the bands have to be joined, the channel set to auto and set to auto optimization for the pods to work correctly.

Thanks. Will the still work as wireless access points if I just use them with bands split to 2.4g and 5g. Not connected via Ethernet but just plugged in to wall sockets around the house to increase wifi range? 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, must be Ethernet cable connected. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I prob should of said I meant wifi extenders not access points. Appreciate I should just not have the bands spilt but I prefer this so no drop outs on older devices trying to connect to 5g. Thanks 😊 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Spacebucks 

Do not split the SSID – If the SSID is split then the hub treats the two bands as two different standalone networks (the same as picking up your neighbours Wi-Fi when you search for a network). The Smart Wi-Fi cannot move a device between different networks.

Do not disable either bands – If both bands (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) are not switched on then the software cannot move the device for optimisation, which essentially disables the Smart Wi-Fi.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks - my only question is then that if I have certain devices that only use 2.4g, will they drop connection if the hub or the pods are trying to connect to the 5g for the best connection using the smart wifi?