cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi pods and now Tv sticks

Cl81
Joining in

We have two of the Virgin Media Intelligent Wifi pods and all devices in the house are working ok . The signal is still weaker upstairs compared to down near the hub 3 but still more than enough, the only exception is the two Now TV sticks . They recognise the Wifi network and tells you the signal strength is either excellent or good . However when it comes to connecting them to the wifi it either won’t connect at all of connects for a very short period of time and then drops again . We’ve contacted Now TV to troubleshoot , they got us to connect using our mobile personal hotspots and the Now TV sticks worked fine so it’s def an issue with the Virgin Media Wifi that’s causing it . We’ve tried so many different combinations/ locations/ resets but still no better . I’m so reluctant to phone Virgin as it’s never a simple process and find it always takes multiple phone calls and massive amounts of time to get anywhere. Has anyone else had this issue please ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're running on default settings, the hub and pods broadcast both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands with the same name.  Some devices don't cope well with that, or with the automatic channel hopping that the "intelligent wifi" will undertake if it sees fit to do so.

You could try taking control of the wifi settings, disabling automatic optimisation, intelligent wifi and auto channel selection, then rename the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with unique names.  I can't say how well that works with the pods, but it may be worth a try.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's not a definite that it's a virgin media WiFi issue, it could be the sticks you have aren't compatible with the WiFi boosters. If you switch off the boosters does the stick connect to the hub downstairs?

Tried that as well and they still don’t connect . We are getting speeds of over 300 down stairs where the main hub is , even with one of the boosters upstairs and the other at the bottom of the stairs we are struggling to reach mid 20s when we do the speed test . 
Also sometimes they do connect for a short period of time , we frequently have times where one of the sticks connects and the other doesn’t .

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're running on default settings, the hub and pods broadcast both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands with the same name.  Some devices don't cope well with that, or with the automatic channel hopping that the "intelligent wifi" will undertake if it sees fit to do so.

You could try taking control of the wifi settings, disabling automatic optimisation, intelligent wifi and auto channel selection, then rename the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with unique names.  I can't say how well that works with the pods, but it may be worth a try.  

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Cl81,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing issues with your Now TV stick. We're happy to help as much as we can.

Have you tried the steps outlined by @Andrew-G? Has this helped in your situation?

If you're not experiencing any WiFi Connection issues with any other devices, there could be a compatibility issue between the Now TV stick and our Pods. 

Please keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi , after the steps suggested above I called the technical team . The agent at first was very dismissive and patronising and kept telling me it must be the now tv sticks that were the issue . I mentioned the suggestion that had been made on here & she offered to split the band widths . So we are now able to manually select which one to connect to and this has resolved the issue . I also mentioned how slow the speeds are upstairs compared to downstairs even with the pods and she is sending another one out . If it hadn’t been for the suggestion on here to do with the 2.4ghz/5ghz I would never have thought to mention this to the agent and I don’t think she would have suggested it either so many thanks for your help Andrew . 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Cl81

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Glad to hear the issue is now resolved, please do contact us if you require any further assistance.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

deleted

Tony.
Sacked VIP