cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi pod - can't separate 2.5 Ghz and 5 Ghz - router automatically names them the same

rainio
Tuning in

Hello,

Plugged the pod in which appears to work, however the hub 4.0 automatically changes the name of my 5 ghz band to the name of my 2.5 ghz band and greys out the ability to change the password of the 5 Ghz

When I change the name of the 5 Ghz band again, the router settings accept this, and the 5 Ghz band may appear on devices (my amp connects to it but I can't see it on my phone, however), for perhaps 10 seconds then the wifi bands disappear then only the name of the 2.5 band appears, and when I check the router settings again the 5 GHZ band name has been changed to that of the 2.5 Ghz name.

virgin wifi.png

Is this normal behavior?

Does the router/pod now name both bands the same and intelligently connect devices to the 5 Ghz band when the signal is strong enough then switch to the 2.5 Ghz (under the same name) when further from the router?

The answers to these questions are not in the FAQ.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rainio wrote:

Hello,

Plugged the pod in which appears to work, however the hub 4.0 automatically changes the name of my 5 ghz band to the name of my 2.5 ghz band and greys out the ability to change the password of the 5 Ghz  <snip>

I believe this is by design, the SSID etc has to be the same on both frequencies for the Pods to work.

See link here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-pods-faqs#acc-c2942dbd-8a8d-4184-9d38...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes - for the Pods to work - they need both frequencies on the same SSID

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ah, thanks.

Where in your link is this, as I had a look but must have missed it?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rainio wrote:

Ah, thanks

Where in your link is this, as I had a look but must have missed it?

Performance. -  Check WiFi issues

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks