cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not working properly since Hub 3 "update".

MikeyMcG
Up to speed

Just after midnight last Thursday or Friday night, our broadband went off. When I checked, the lights were all flashing on the front of the Hub 3. It was like that for ages, so I tried web browsing to the hub. Nothing happened for a while, then suddenly the hub came online with the setup screen. It looked like all the settings had been wiped, and a factory reset had been done. I had to change the admin password, then once in the web interface, I had to set all the wifi passwords, security etc up again from scratch. I used the same wifi network name and password as before, with the wifi network hidden for security reasons. None of our wireless devices could reconnect to the wifi network, and had to remove the wifi network removed, then reconnected manually.

But since this happened, some of our devices will no longer connect to the wifi network, while others connect and disconnect continually. Ironically, a cheap USB wifi extender reconnected to the wifi network with no problems, and devices which can't connect to the main wifi network can connect to the extender and get internet access that way. But the extender only works on the 2.4ghz frequency and so there are speed issues on newer devices. I have rebooted the router and all devices several times with no success.

We heard nothing from VM in advance about any update being performed on the router. So we don't know why this happened. It seems a drastic step to take, factory resetting the hub without warning the customer in advance and not giving any instructions on what to do when it did happen.

I don't want to ring the technical support team just to be told to do everything I have already tried numerous times.

Does anyone here have any idea what might have happened and what else I can try before putting myself through a call to TS?

8 REPLIES 8

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MikeyMcG,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear about the issues with your WiFi. 

I've taken a look at our systems and have been able to identify any issues that could have caused this. There's no faults in the area, and your connection is looking good. 

Have you been able to connect the devices concerned since you posted?

Let us know so we can offer further support if needed. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi. Thanks for replying.

No, still either unable to connect, or connecting for a short while, before the collection drops.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply MikeyMcG.

If you are still having the issues today, we would recommend following the steps here to troubleshoot the issue.

Please let us know how you get on and if this helps to improve the service. 

Thanks, 

Nat

I am starting to get really angry about this. We have had no wifi recepotion around the house for 3 weeks now. This is all due to either a faulty router, or changes VM made to our router without informing us in advance.

To recap:

Late one night 3 weeks or more ago, we lost internet connection completely at around 12.30am. When I checked our equipment, the router was restarting. When it finished restarting, it brought up the initial setup screen. I went through the initial setup routine, using the initial login details. I then had to change all the settings back to what they were before the router restarted. But since then, none of our devices can connect to the wifi network.

I have tried restarting the router, turning it off completely, leaving it for over an hour, then rebooting.but this has had no effect on the issue. I can only enable either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz networks, not both. I have tried restoring the router to factory defaults twice today, but it restarts to the saved details, not the default details.

I got an email yesterday saying changes were going to be made to our wifi, as only one network is enabled. But both networks are showing as enabled, even though changes can only be made to one.

It is obvious that there is an issue with this router. Even with the additional booster, we cannot get any connection to the wifi outside of the room the router is in. The network shows as being available, but when we try to connect, the connection attempt either fails, or it connects with no internet access, eventually dropping altogether. There is apparently some sort of compensation scheme in place where VM claims that if it cannot provide home-wide wifi, they will pay compensation. I would like to know how to apply for this.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Thats why modem mode and your own router is best but it looks like they are making that hard for you to find a router that works because they went and blocked IPv4 DHCP broadcast reply again by the looks of it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Now we have no Internet connection at all. I tried resetting the router again and now the router looks as if it has finished booting, with the steady white light on the front, but no devices can connect either by ethernet or wifi. This is seriously bad service from VM.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM and their update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01QQZyl-_I
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @MikeyMcG,

Sorry for the ongoing issues.

I've checked our systems and your hub is online and I can see you currently do have devices connected over WiFi and Ethernet.

At the time of writing, no WiFi issues have been detected. 

Do you still require help?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs