cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not working after engineer visit

wishboneboy
On our wavelength

Hi, Today, at 4 p.m., a Virgin engineer was scheduled (Thursday 12th Jan). I'm not in the UK and had to arrange for someone to arrive at 4 p.m. Engineer arrived an hour early when no one was at the property, but a neighbour kindly let him in. I had scheduled someone to arrive at 4 p.m. to explain the problem and ensure the internet was operational before he left. They never got that chance because he was gone in less than 20 minutes, well before 4 p.m. He stated that everything was now working. It is worth noting that I have several security and essential devices that use wifi that are no longer operational. This is a serious problem. Could you please tell me what the engineer did? My wifi and internet are still not working. Please help urgently. 

13 REPLIES 13

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @wishboneboy

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear your service issues have not been resolved following the visit. 

I would be happy to take a look at this for you.

I will send you a private message now. 

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

wishboneboy
On our wavelength

Hello there, team. I was having a conversation with one of your team members, but our last contact was on Friday. I've sent a few messages in the last 48 hours, but no one has responded. I've been without wifi for 5 days. The property's security cameras are unable to connect. Please assist as soon as possible.

1) When the engineer visited, was the Hub reset or replaced leading to now having WiFi service name / password  that differs from the configuration on your security cameras ?

2) During or after the engineer's visit did you have to re-enter WiFi details to reconnect mobile phones to the WiFi of the Hub ?

3) Are computers that are connected to the Hub via a network cable working ?

Thank you for responding.
1. I was assured that neither the password nor the wifi name would be changed.
2. I'm not sure. I am not in the UK and am unable to visit the property with Virgin Fibre. 3. All of the cameras are wireless.

Again, I apologise for being unable to provide an accurate response to your question. My concern is that the engineer reset the router, which was not agreed upon.

If you have someone taking care of the property, perhaps they can be talked through the process of configuring the preferred SSID & password.

They are elderly and have no idea. I require the services of an engineer to resolve the issue. It hasn't worked since his visit, but I was assured by Virgin's private message that he hadn't changed the WIFI settings. Another day goes by without wifi.... please help!

wishboneboy
On our wavelength

Hello, this is a peculiar situation. 3 weeks ago, my wifi is operational with intermittent interruptions. 2 week ago Virgin diagnose and see a fault.  1 week ago, a Virgin technician visited my property to resolve the issue and reset the router to factory defaults. Since this visit, none of my devices have connected. Seven days have passed without wifi. He did this without my approval or knowledge. Virgin will not send an engineer to solve the issue. I am located outside the UK. What happens next?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wishboneboy  Is this issue just with WiFi connections or is it also affecting the broadband connection via ethernet cable?

When you say that you are located outside the UK do you mean that you are temporarily absent from the UK property serviced by the VM broadband connection?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The operation of the WiFi service for the security camera and so on is clearly a concern.

Perhaps is is worth taking control of the WiFi for those key devices in a manner that works
regardless of VM Hub resets / replacements.

Consider adding your own WiFi access point to serve security camera and so on.
Your WiFi access point would maintain the preferred SSID/password and just need to be plugged into a Hub.

More costly devices are available but many security camera appear to favour the 2.4Ghz channels,
so a device like this ( or the next model up ) might do the job ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B075PDLQ2Y/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=wir...

We also are in the situation that a Hub 3 reset or replacement would leave the Hub offering a WiFi service out of
kilter with our TVs, mobiles, laptops, Kindles etc ... but as we have 2 TP-LINK access points both also offer the
expected WiFi SSID / password - no inconvenience would occur.