Menu
Highlighted
JJLondon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi needed in attic conversion Help Please

We have S.Hub 3 downstairs in the lounge where the Tivo Box, Sonos system, and ethernet cable running to the office upstairs is connected. 

I have also connected an ethernet cable to the hub3 which runs up to the attic for another computer to connect to.

I would like to be able to have wifi in the attic also.  What would be the best way to do this?  I have tried power adapters but they do not work as the electrics are not on the same line.  Was thinking of using an old S.Hub 2 but would that work without messing up the other devices connected?

0 Kudos
CapricornDog
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi needed in attic conversion Help Please

If you have ethernet then i would suggest using an ethernet hub/switch to continue being able to use ethernet on your pc and also giving you extra ports to connect othet things such as a wifi access point.

You could buy a new wifi access point which would be the easier option or use an old router if you have one but that takes a little more configuring as you will have two routers on one network, its not that hard to do and guides are readily available online with a little google search.

Also if you go down the old router route you wont need the hub/switch as im sure you can connect stuff to the second routers ports, i may be wrong but i think that is correct.

My Broadband Ping - Home
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Would best just adding a wireless access point onto the Ethernet cable run to the attic, for something decent looking around £50, could get a router that supports access point mode 

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is no need to spend a penny, just repurpose the SH2 as a wireless access point in a LAN to LAN connection. Log into the SH2 in order to set its IP address in the same IP segment as the hub's to something like 192.168.0.8 and to disable its DHCP server. Connect the SH2 by any of its LAN ports to any of the hub's LAN ports and reboot the SH2. You should now have internet from the remaining three LAN ports and WiFi.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
JJLondon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've tried doing this with an old  2ac but, will not work with this new hub 3.  It did however work with the previous hub 3 we had but, that was replaced as the wifi stopped working on it.

I'll reset the 2ac and try again. 

0 Kudos
SwedishViking2
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Did you disable all firewall settings in the 2ac? Just got my HUB3 to work and this was my issue.

Also, for some reason it shows ad hoc in the HUB3 connected devices listing but can be reached by its IP address in a browser..

0 Kudos