Menu
miagraham97
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi keeps dropping out

I recently converted to virgin like 2 weeks ago and ever since, the connection always disconnects like every 2 minutes and the signal strength is never full its always 1 or two bars on my phone. I live on the outskirts of new milton. The same problem occurs at my boyfriends house and he lives in center of new milton. I just left bt because the connection was awful, thinking virgin was the best going... HELP !!!!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi keeps dropping out

Maybe VM could be the best going but not their equipment as the wireless is bad on the hub so if you get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode it likely be better.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Let’s checkout your circuit. Go into you hub on 192.168.0.1 and post your up/down stream stats and network log. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
miagraham97
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

what do you mean go into the hub on 192... ?!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try this....

Post up your network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  Go to http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 ) in your browser [there is no need to login] and then click on the  “router status” icon at  top right - or the text at bottom middle - of first page up (depending on which hub you have) and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream , &  network logs.  Don't worry about the formatting it can be easily read (by others & not by me!), but try and avoid using screen shots & don’t include personal data or mac addresses.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi miagraham, 

Thanks for getting in touch and a warm welcome to the Community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry for the wireless connection problems. All is well from our end with regards to your power and SNR levels and the area is also free of fault. How does your hard-wired connection perform?

Take a look at our wireless tips and let us know if this helps. 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Assuming you have a Hub3, and if you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort quite a few Hub3 wifi issues.   Go into the Hub3 settings (go to http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 in your browser) and in "smart wifi" disable the "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated and you can then select the network you want to connect to, individually on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range".  See if that helps. 

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
miagraham97
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey i cant seem to find ‘smart wifi’ or anything to disable channel optimisation.. any hints?? I use the first link you posted as the second one doesn’t seem to work in my browser..

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@miagraham97 wrote:

Hey i cant seem to find ‘smart wifi’ or anything to disable channel optimisation.. any hints?? I use the first link you posted as the second one doesn’t seem to work in my browser..

Ahhh..  that is a feature of the new firmware (...608) - looks like you haven't been updated yet - so ignore that until you are

--------------------
0 Kudos