cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi keeps dropping out

apk100
Joining in

Our wifi keeps dropping out for a couple of minutes at a time before we can reconnect. We are working from home and a lot of work is being interrupted with this. It happens several times a day, has been happening for some time now and is very frustrating.

We recently had a call with an engineer who reset and rebooted the wifi, but the problems have since returned.

The Hub 3.0 is well positioned and it does not matter how few or how many devices are linked. it still drops put intermittently.

Is there a simple solution to stop the wifi dropping out? 

I am paying a lot of money for this service, but the best VM seem to be able to do is to ask me to pay more and upgrade rather than fixing the problem.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... Are the dropouts only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

When the wifi drops out, it drops out for all devices.

I have not checked the ethernet recently.

The lights on the Hub 3.0 box appear normal - as tough noting has happened.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

When the wifi drops out, it drops out for all devices.

I have not checked the ethernet recently.

The lights on the Hub 3.0 box appear normal - as though nothing has happened. (sorry.... poor proof reading!)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like it may just be a wifi issue -when you are sat near the Hub does it happen - or only as you move to other locations?

But check the ethernet connection to confirm either way

If that remains ok when wifi drops then you just have a wifi issue and not a network connection one.

Different solutions/fixes apply to those two different scenarios

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @apk100

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your WiFi. 

I have taken a look at your account and everything appears to be in order this end. Have you managed to test using an Ethernet cable?

In the meanwhile it would be worth downloading our Connect app. When installed, you can do a wireless scan in the property. This scan will optimise the connection where possible to do so. It'll also check for any coverage blackspots in the property and if a WiFi Pod is needed, you'll be prompted to order one.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs