cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi keeps cutring out

Wal77
Joining in

Hi, I'm having issues with my wifi. The wifi keeps cutting out or we get terrible signal. Everytime someone games, watches Netflix or on the internet. They experience lag, videos don't load despite being connected. I've tried rebooting the hub on numerous occasions and the troubleshooting says there is no problem with connection in the area. We had an engineer replace the hub few months ago. 

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
_____

Firstly... Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, thanks for responding.

I have the hub 3 and the light is always a steady white. When I'm watching YouTube for instance and the video keeps loading. I've checked the hub to see if the lights were flashing and it's been the white light.

It's only evident with the wifi connection. My TV is connected to the ethernet but it does suffer a little bit. Less than the devices connected to wifi. I've done the basic troubleshooting from the forums and the app, still getting nowhere. I first thought it was in my area but it's been happening on and off 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Wal77, thanks for posting on our help forums and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the problems you've been having with your home network and poor wireless connection that's causing drop outs when gaming or streaming videos.

This issue can be resolved by adding a WiFi Pod (our wireless signal booster) where the signal levels are low or we detect a blind spot inside the house, please have a read here about our Wi Fi Max service for more.

Could you please tell us if you've scanned your home on the Connect App to see whether poor signal is the cause of this?
Also, could you confirm which package you subscribe to for broadband as our WiFi Max can come without cost on our Volt, Oomph and 1Gig Speed bundles but can be chargeable for other customers?

Let us know and we're happy to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have scanned my home with the on the connect app and downstairs where the hub is located shows 549Mbps whereas upstairs shows 13 to 14Mbps. We are on the M500 broadband package and not looking to upgrade. Is there still a possibility to get a wifi booster/pod depending on the mentioned speeds above?

Many thanks

Walter

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
_________

VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/m for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

As mentioned by @jbrennand, you can find all you need to know here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/booster-and-wi-fi-pods You can also place an order via our connect app https://virg.in/connectapp 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs