cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi keeps crashing

jaff66
Joining in

Hi, has anyone else experienced the same problems as I have with my router. The issue is that every few days my router stops broadcasting the Wi-Fi signal. Then a few minutes later it is back. Then after another few minutes it's gone again. The only way to fix is to re boot the router. This fixes the problem for a few days, then it crashes again. So far in the last two weeks this has happened 5 times. I can keep on re booting the router but I feel this is not the way forward. Is the router faulty or am I extremely unlucky? To compound the problem I also have a TP-Link mesh access point connected via ethernet cable which has not caused any issues. 

Any help would be welcome, 

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What VM Hub do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi - it's a Hub 3 router, a couple of years old now. 

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jaff66,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that your Wi-Fi connection seems to be dropping intermittently. If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend checking our Service Status Dashboard to see if there's anything being reported there currently that may explain this issue. If there is, it should detail a current estimated fix date/time and offer you the choice to receive SMS and/or email updates.

Can you also confirm if this issue happens on a wired connection too, or just wireless/Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi, 

No problems with wired connections only with the broadcast of the Wi-Fi. I have a hard wired a access point via ethernet cable and that is not affected when I've lost the WiFi. I've checked the service status page on every occasion that the WiFi has gone down and there have been no problems in my location. Yesterday morning the same issues occurred again. I notice it because I've IP security cameras around the house, under normal circumstances there's a light that remains blue but when the WiFi is lost it flashes amber. Then after a few minutes it goes back to blue (WiFi ok) then after 3-4 minutes it flashes amber and then back to blue and so on. I observed this on one occasions for nearly an hour until I finally re-booted the router to fix the problem. All is fine until the same problem occurs. In the last two weeks this issue has happened 7 times.

D. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Looks like a pure wifi issue. Then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are only free to customers on 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you?

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) good wireless access points (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Use a free wifi analyser to see if you are clashing with a neighbour on the same wireless channels, or if there's a channel that is better than others.

Try changing the wireless channel(s).

Ultimately you will probably be better off getting your own premium wireless router or mesh system and using the hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Can you not connect your devices to the AP then rather the hubs Wifi?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Good Morning @jaff66, thanks for your post on our Community Forums

Can you please tell me if the Wi-Fi issues you've advised our posters of is still ongoing, or have you been able to resolve this with the advice that's been given?

Any updates are welcome!

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi 

Thanks everyone for all your advice on my issues. Having tried to implement the advice given and indeed a friend who is an IT tech I'm afraid to report that I'm still having the same issues. He seems to think it's an issue with the router and that the only way is to use it in modem mode and get a better router. 

I'll see about trying to implement this as soon as I can. 

Thanks

D