Menu
MindOfTim
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wifi issues

We signed up to 100mb broadband 18 months ago and after having trouble with devices disconnecting all the time, the engineer told me to split the wifi bands. This solved the issue. This september, we upgraded to the ultimate oomph package (640mb broadband, 2 tv boxes). Since then we have had nothing but issues.

I was having to reset the hub 4-5 times a day as most/all devices would disconnect form the internet. Several calls and engineers later we were told it was a faulty hub. A new hub was sent to which there was no improvement. Several more calls and engineer visits we were then told the node near our street is faulty and an engineer needs to fix that and everything will be fine. After the engineer had told us it's all fixed, no improvement to the internet and several calls later we had someone shout at me over the phone saying it's my fault for having split wifi channels and he put them back together to the point no one had any internet in the house for 3 days. Splitting the bands made this back to most devices disconnecting many times throughout the day again, but able to at least use the internet.since then I've been given compensation for the hassle and told if there are any issues to call back. Problem being whenever I call all I get told is they will test the line, reset the hub, make some changes and that should solve the issue. It never does. The wifi can be connected to one device, or up to 9, I've tried just one device 2 meters away from the hub, and often this has a worse connection than my smart tv which is downstairs from the hub. It's got to the point I just use my mobile as a hotspot and give up with the internet. Using a cable connection generally is okay, although it does disconnect occasionally too, but wifi is the bigger issue. It's not that the devices are too far away, they are usually either one room over or 1 floor up from the hub. The 5g wifi and the 2.4g wifi both randomly disconnect all devices, sometimes a couple devices will stay online, but usually they all go off. Resetting the hub and factory defaulting the hub havent helped. Using a booster also hasn't helped. I'm stuck for ideas and after a total of 36 calls to virgin since October, usually taking over an hour, I dont want to call as I get the same response each time.

Sorry it's a huge wall of text, I'm just trying to give as much detail as I can incase anyone may know the issue.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi issues

Join the Revolution and put your hub in modem mode and get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I second that, Modem Mode is the Only way on VM.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
MindOfTim
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

On a cable connection I get the full 640mb down and 60mb up no problem most of the time so I wasnt worried about the ports, but is next on my list to buy a decent router rather than the trash hub, but right now money is a major issue. Would you say theres basically nothing else I can do other than modem mode the hub? If so I'll stop trying to fix the issue and go sell some second hand stuff if I have to till i have the money for a router. Right now my kids have a lot of online home schooling and zoom classes and this internet is actually interfering with their schooling

0 Kudos
MindOfTim
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What new router would you suggest? I do like to stream (by that I mean stream my gameplay to youtube). Along with several devices watching netflix (usually 2 or 3 at most)

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@MindOfTim wrote:

On a cable connection I get the full 640mb down and 60mb up no problem most of the time so I wasnt worried about the ports, but is next on my list to buy a decent router rather than the trash hub, but right now money is a major issue. Would you say theres basically nothing else I can do other than modem mode the hub? If so I'll stop trying to fix the issue and go sell some second hand stuff if I have to till i have the money for a router. Right now my kids have a lot of online home schooling and zoom classes and this internet is actually interfering with their schooling

If money's tight look at used router options - well known auction sites and free ad apps.  I got a very good secondhand router for 40 quid recently.  Do some research/look at reviews first. My hub 3 wifi was working reasonably well (especially since I had an old BT hub as an additional access point) but the hub was 'flaky' in a home with few users. Range has not improved but throughput and stability/reliability have.  It helps to be 'savvy' and know the used market/money back gaurentees that apply should they be needed. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Anything ASUS.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Asus are premium routers with great hardware inside.

The old AC68u is decent and the later AC86u enough for most homes, but even used prices of those are cheaper than a new TP-Link router.

The TP-Link C7 AC1750 is a decent budget router. The price of these fluctuate on Amazon between £60 to £75 so best to keek an eye. This model sells on ebay used about £60 so better value new on Amazon. 

But as you have M600 I would personally save all lunch money and break the piggy bank to buy the AC86U about £145 on Amazon..will make the most of the M600. Later if you dont need that router you can sell on ebay and recover most your money back

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
MindOfTim
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think I'll save money and go for the AC86U to get the most of what I'm paying for. I would rather save for longer and get the better item and not have to upgrade for longer

0 Kudos