Menu
Highlighted
VeetaG
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Wifi issues, use new router?

Hi everyone

This is my first time posting here. I apologise if this is in the wrong section. After a 20+ minute wait in the queue on the phone, only to be disconnected, I thought I'd have better luck here.

I've been with VM for a year on the 100mb/s broadband and have been having terrible wifi and speed issues. My wifi is fine in the living room but quite bad in the kitchen 5 metres away and terrible upstairs. I've tried keeping electrical equipment that may interfere with the router away and have purchased a tplink450 wifi booster which only helped slightly but was mostly a waste of £55

I never had these issues with my previous supplier. I cancelled my broadband with virgin last week due to being out of contract and a big price increase on top of my wifi/speed issues. But other suppliers aren't able to offer me speeds of more than 10 mb/s and with the kids and grandkids all wanting to use their devices when they are over (often), I think I'll have to stick with virgin...so I'll have to begrudgingly call and uncancel my cancellation? I assume I can do this? The man who cancelled my broadband was very abrupt but I think he told my son it would end in 30 days. I would like to resolve these issues before I do/decide if I will.

I'm not a very technically savvy person but my son has suggested buying another router. I've browsed the forums and understand I'll have to (my son will have to help) put the virgin router in a modem mode and the new one should improve signal and speed? Could anyone recommend a compatible router? My son also said he would move the router into the hallway between the living room and the kitchen and suggested considering upgrading the broadband to a faster speed to resolve the speed issues the grandkids have when using the internet at the same time... He offered to pay for two thirds but at the current cost of my 100mb package I don't think we can justify this cost.

Any advice in selecting a new router and possible ways to increase speed issues would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the longwinded post.

And thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi issues, use new router?

Listen to the youth of the world ! 

I too have my own router and would advocate that option!  A decent wifi router can be had for ~£70 - a really good one for around £100-150 and top of the range "gaming" one is £400+.   However, there is no "guarantee/" that any great improvement will be evident if you are subject to interference for other sources,  So, before going there, don't give up on the Hub just yet !  Before exploring those options try this and see if you can improve what the Hub3 delivers.  Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  [or  http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode]) into your web browser’s url box) and in "smart wifi" (if you have it)  disable "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper devices can only use this one.  See if that helps. If not - report back and the other options can be explored.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get in the living room  ?  You can use a speed testing app on a phone or use a speed test website  

If they are not close to your 100 connection speed do you or your son have a laptop that you can do a wired speed test on ?

Depending on how successful the changes jbrennand has suggested are in improving your wifi then my view would be 

- 3rd party router will likely improve things, and putting it in a more central location should help regardless

- 100 speed is more than enough if you have a good VM connection and good WiFi, so would say there's no need to upgrade

The other thing you or your son should check is if there is interference. You can use a free WiFi scanning app on a phone to check what wifi channel neighbours are using and set the Hub to one that is clear

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

As per Tony's advice, get a WiFi scanner on an Android phone and survey the house.  While doing this, also check if you can route Ethernet cables from upstairs and kitchen.  If this is possible, get 2 Ubiquiti POE access points and install one centrally upstairs and one downstairs centrally. These will improve the WiFi and negate the need for another Router. They are not cheap but certainly up there with the best. A cheaper option may be BT Whole Home WiFi, but again they really need a wired backhaul for optimum performance.

WiFi is notorious for being problematic, in some environments it's good and in other's it very bad.  Even a good router can struggle in a poor environment.

You could be cheeky and "test" a router from Amazon and if it does not solve the WiFi problem, send it back as unsuitable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VeetaG
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thank you all for your very informative replies. Unfortunately, I was left a bit bewildered but did my best. 

I ran a speed test on my iPhone in the living room, it was ran using the iPhone web browser on an internet site and was at approximately 68MB/S. I then plugged my laptop into the back of the router using an ethernet cable and ran the same test which gave a result of 82MB/S. I ran these tests last night around 9pm. The only results were download and upload speed, I'm assuming this was correct? I do not have an android device with me atm to run a wifi scan.

I ran the speed test in the kitchen on my phone and it read 16MB/s. The wifi upstairs was still so weak I could not run the test.

My son has been at work so I will wait for him to change the router settings as I'm struggling to do so. 

I decided to ask my new neighbours if they had any issues, they are with another supplier. They had no issues but thankfully they brought over one of their routers they use for their outbuilding/office and kindly tested it for me, I forgot the model but it was an ASAS Router. Plugged in right next to my not so super hub, when tested the speed in the kitchen was approx 78MB/s and almost close to the same speed upstairs. So I'm fairly certain either a new router or as Adduxi has suggested POE access points? I'm not too sure if there is any interference affecting the superhub. All I have in the living room is a TV, freeview box and an xbox which is only used on the weekends.

My son says routing internet cables under the floor would be simple/easy.

I'm just considering if this is worth the cost. My neighbour is with a cheaper supplier and has no issues with the router they supply. I will talk through the benefits/potential costs with my son later as he has offered to route cables and purchase any additional kit we may need.

Thank you on behalf of both of us.

I will update you when/if this is sorted.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You have done pretty well !  I think splitting the 2 networks as I suggested earlier will help - once your lad has done that.  Wifi is a funny business - see griffin's excellent summary in message 6 of the thread in the link below.  Ethernet cable connection is always best so if the lad thinks it would be easy to do in your house then get him to do that - the Cat6a cables are relatively cheap and the labour is free (well not really of course !).  You have tested a 3d party wifi router in your location, so if that delivered acceptable performance you can always go that route.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-hub-3-Wifi/td-p/3877406

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Starting from basics, which hub do you have?
The reason why I ask,is that the old SH1 (VMDG 480, now obsolete) can not transmit the 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously and also has issues if the Hub is operating with marginal power issues as it does not have processing power to handle a large amount of power adjustments and wireless the same time.

I would be slightly concerned that you are not quite achieving  headline speed with the laptop with a wired connection, however you were testing at peak time and congestion could be responsible for the slowdown. It may also be the laptop only has a 100Mbps ethernet port or the ethernet cable. It maybe a minor local circuit issue which needs to be established if this is the case, as if you have the SH1 it can affect the wireless.

What is the make\model of the laptop?
What version of the iPhone do you have?

For diagnosing the problem the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands need to be separated as JBrennand has advised, so you know which band you a connected to. (unless you have the SH1)

Which band are you testing on?.
The 5 GHz band is less prone to interference, so tends to be faster than the 2.4 GHz band, and much faster if you have wireless AC clients.

If your laptop is using Windows you can download InSSIDer to scan your wireless environment bearing in mind that it will not pick up interference from the domestic appliances I mentioned in the post JBrennand as kindly linked above.

Apple has a basic built in wireless scanner built in, accessed from Airport Utilities, instructions here 

The first thing to do is scan for interference bearing in mind the domestic appliances that can interfere with your wireless signal. (they do not have to be in your own home just to make things a bit more complicated).

Once you are happy you are using the best wireless channel, I would scan for range looking at the scanners wireless strength around the home, you are looking for a signal strength of  -67dBm or better, -54 dBm for wireless AC devices. This should highlight the areas where the signal is weak and additional hardware is required.

A wireless access point hardwired back to the Hub would be the most robust method as mentioned above. You don't really need PoE which would require a PoE injector, just plug in the AP to a router.

Wireless Powerline Adapters would be a more convenient solution, bearing in mind speeds will depend on the level of noise on your electrical mains, but should perform much better than wireless repeater that require optimal positioning to get any benefit. I would not expect more than 15 - 25% of advertised speeds from Powerline Adapters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

OP said they had been with VM on the 100 package for a year - so if that was a new install they will have the Hub3.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@griffin wrote:

OP said they had been with VM on the 100 package for a year - so if that was a new install they will have the Hub3.

That could be read as the OP being on the 100Mbps package for a year, and may have been with VM for much longer.

Diagnosis requires precision, even if it is to confirm something that may seem obvious, not guesswork and assumptions.
I have seen quite a few posts on here where the OP has failed to mention something relevant e.g. complaining about not receiving headline speeds and failing to mention being connected through a powerline adapters,  with everyone assuming the OP was connecting directly.

Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yep - OP will hopefully clarify.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos