cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi help for technophobe

Technophobe155
Tuning in

Hi. Firstly I'm dissatisfied that I can't speak to someone about this issue. I would appreciate help from the people that sold me this non functioning equipment. I previously had m100 but wifi was awful. So customer services sold me m350. This was 4 weeks ago and since then I've virtually had no wifi. All wifi tests say intermittent issue connecting with hub 3.0. My broadband is fine, but wifi is non exsistant.  Please do not tell me to change IP addresses etc. I'm 60yrs old. I want to pay for plug and play. I've reset my hub. Turned it off. Stood on my head. But still awful wifi. 1 metre from hub. Please help

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes - best solution - but you do have to still use the VM Hub put into modem mode and add your own router and wireless equipment

As you are a committed "technophobe" ( 🙂 ) I would say just get a Mesh system.

To cut to the chase look at getting a 2 or 3 pack of the TP-Link Deco M4 or M5. Dependent on the size of your property and budget - we can tell you how to set it up

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thankyou. I've saved all that info and will try to get sorted over next few days

I appreciate your help

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Technophobe155 wrote:

I'm 60yrs old. I want to pay for plug and play.

Age shouldn’t come in to it, don’t put yourself down.  Aptitude and ability, fair enough, but I’m about your age and find this stuff ‘child’s play’ even if it takes some figuring out sometimes. Up until recently I was teaching it to 18 year olds!

The industry has generally done a decent job of making something previously the job of networking professionals straightforward for the consumer, but not in all cases.

It sounds like you were miss-sold the M350. 

Splitting the bands may help, as will looking at your environment and taking other appropriate steps to optimise the WiFi.  Getting your own decent wireless router or mesh system and using the VM hub in modem mode would likely help, by throwing money at it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi. Thanx for your reply. Yes I guess if I devoted a little time to it I could understand , as I have a degree .  I'm just distracted by so many other things and thought this would be plug and play. I'm going to take an hour tomorrow and read up on mesh systems and networking 

I can't just keep on ignoring technology. I didn't even know what SSID was until last night. I understand environment,  electrical appliances etc can cause noise and interfere but I'm not even getting an uniterupted WiFi signal from 1 metre away.  I do feel virgin should have a duty of care, and should do more than depending on community help. I've had this hub 3.0 for approx 3 years now and I'm sure equipment has improved since then

I do appreciate your help and will read up on networking/ wifi etc. Then I might understand what your all talking about haha

Thanx again

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Technophone155, thanks for your post although I'm really sorry you're having wifi issues.
I'm just going to pop you a PM to make sure I'm running diagnostics against the right equipment for you, so please expect this message shortly and reply directly.

Many thanks!

Tom_W