cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi getting worse and worse

Steve1999
Joining in

When I first signed up with Virgin around 8 months ago, the wifi worked great. But since 4 months or so ago it’s been getting progressively worse, completely unusable in certain rooms (live in a small flat and nothing has moved etc since back when I was getting perfect connection so there should not be any change). It cuts out for many seconds at a time, completely doesn’t work in some rooms, videos constantly buffering on phones etc. Getting “RCS Partial Service” occasionally on the logs. Just generally terrible experience, and I start work in a new job working from home in a week so I really need it sorted.

any suggestions? It’s just ridiculous at the moment

26 REPLIES 26

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Do wired connections also drop? That would be the first thing you’re asked to check by support. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I don’t have any wired connections, but my experience is that nothing setup close to the router drops at all, so no.

Use a laptop with Ethernet to check/test wired connections - prove if the broadband itself is ok

use a Wi-Fi analyser app to see if any wireless issues show up - neighbours using same channels?

try changing wireless channels 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Broadband itself seems ok - no issues at all on analyser with Ethernet. I’ve changed wireless channels twice with no improvements so far. 
WiFi is still pretty unusable in most rooms.

At this point - I'd get my own router - Much better than the Hubs and you have much more control!

I've not looked back since doing it!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Steve1999 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your services. 

Are you able to let me know if you have the virgin media connect app downloaded?  If so please could you scan your flat for any blackspots.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I have it downloaded and yes it is showing black spots, but previously I had no issues at all and absolutely nothing has changed (hub hasn’t moved, no furniture moved, etc etc)

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Nothing visible may have changed, but WiFi is susceptible to lots of external influences that sometime you cannot trace.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am very sorry about this @Steve1999

As @Tudor has suggested, WiFi can be affected by different external factors that could cause these issues. 

What hub do you have? 

Do you have a lot of devices connected as this could also affect the WiFi strength? 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide