cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi faults (intermitten faults) drop outs

Mitchclark01
Joining in
  • Ever since I've upgraded to 200 mgb Internet, the router freezes at least 4 times a day, we have had two engineers round to look at the problem with no solution found, I insisted on a new router and that never fixed the issue, the virgin support team have split the ranges to 2.4 ghz and 5ghz and this hasn't sorted the issue either,  they have checked all of our devices connected and nothing flagged up, I know its not issues in the area as my neighbour hasn't had any problems and he has the same service as myself, any solutions would be welcome 

Cheers  

Mitch

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this..

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you have separated the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands BUT - did you at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" and then apply and save the settings. This often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4)).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with average usage

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.