cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi drops out on Hub5 when using devices nearby

pho101
Joining in

Ever since last year when we were upgraded to a Hub 5 we've had loads of issues with WiFi dropping out especially when we work from home (always in the middle of a call)! 

When it drops, it goes on every device (both computers, mobile, iPad) and then comes back after a minute or two. This can be sped up by a manual reset of the Hub. 

We had an engineer out, he tested the internal and external connections, the Hub itself, and said there was nothing wrong. Next time it happened my husband called up and they said the problem was using the laptop (Macbook Air) and Chromecast too close to the router i.e. the router and those devices are all in the lounge. So their solution was stop using the Chromecast and Macbook Air at all, which has stabilised the connection on the computer upstairs. But now we're both working from home again it's not sustainable that I can't use my laptop! 

Do we need to get a different WiFi setup? I've heard the Hub 5 isn't very good as a router. Wondering about investing in a TP Deco setup. 

6 REPLIES 6

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@pho101 wrote:

Ever since last year when we were upgraded to a Hub 5 we've had loads of issues with WiFi dropping out especially when we work from home (always in the middle of a call)! 

When it drops, it goes on every device (both computers, mobile, iPad) and then comes back after a minute or two. This can be sped up by a manual reset of the Hub. 

We had an engineer out, he tested the internal and external connections, the Hub itself, and said there was nothing wrong. Next time it happened my husband called up and they said the problem was using the laptop (Macbook Air) and Chromecast too close to the router i.e. the router and those devices are all in the lounge. So their solution was stop using the Chromecast and Macbook Air at all, which has stabilised the connection on the computer upstairs. But now we're both working from home again it's not sustainable that I can't use my laptop! 

Do we need to get a different WiFi setup? I've heard the Hub 5 isn't very good as a router. Wondering about investing in a TP Deco setup. 

Go with the last sentence.

Put the hub into modem mode and use your own system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jem101
Superstar

@pho101 wrote:

So their solution was stop using the Chromecast and Macbook Air at all, which has stabilised the connection on the computer upstairs. But now we're both working from home again it's not sustainable that I can't use my laptop! 

Now just when you think you must have heard all the BS excuses that VM’s offshore customer services can come up with, they then excel themselves with something completely from left field - so bravo for that!

Honestly, none of VM’s hubs have ever distinguished themselves for being a good WiFi router, no reason to expect the 5 to be any different. As @gary_dexter rightly says, just give it up and get your own system installed, the TP-Link should be just fine.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Alternatively get some adapters for the devices and use an Ethernet cable. Direct cabling always gives the best connection. I would never ever consider doing crucial work over a WiFi connection.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

pho101
Joining in

I bought a TP Link Deco mesh system and the problem is gone! Shame Virgin don't upgrade their own Hubs to a better system. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM like all large corporations are in the business tom make money. So they supply cheap PoundShop equipment which does work for some of their customers, but if you want a fully working system everywhere in your home buying your own network equipment certainly pays dividends. I have never ever used any of the VM hubs in router mode, always in modem mode with my own router and access points.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pho101, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you've been having some connectivity problems since switching to the Hub 5.

I know you've said things have been resolved since purchasing your TP Link Deco mesh system, which is great to hear!

Please let me know if you need any further support though and we'll do our best to assist via the community threads.

Many thanks

Tom_W