cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi drops out for a few mins

hiace_drifter
On our wavelength

Most days my wifi drops out for a few mins (no change on router lights), then comes back on. This is very frustrating when making video calls for work, or watching a film.

5 REPLIES 5

g0akc
Problem sorter

Are wired connections okay - do they drop?

Any pattern to it?  Does it coincide with using any devices such as a microwave oven?

Any clash with neighbours wifi?  Try using an analyser app to check.

Look at doing a reboot or factory reset

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it's purely wifi, I suspect the "Intelligent" wifi is moving bands and channels on your devices, causing the interruptions. 

You can split the SSID, disable Smart Optimisation on the wifi and set the wifi devices manually. Doing this will stop the devices flapping from one to the other.   As @g0akc says, use a wifi analyser to pick the best band and channel with the least crowded space.  For 2.4Ghz, this will be channel 1, 6 or 11.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

The Smart Optimisation is a check button you can choose to disable on the wifi screens.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Well after several months it turns out my router was broken and 5ghz wasn't working! C-08072259

What's the best way to contact a complaints team in writing? I have used the online complaints form, but just get a reply asking me to phone the standard number. I want to contact in writing as I like to be able to list out the steps taken to resolve this.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

When a complaint is raised we will initially contact you based on the contact information listed on your account - this could be the landline or mobile number, email or address listed. We usually try both contact numbers when calling, unless the complaint states alternative contact information. In this circumstance we can try all contact information available to try to make contact. We aim to respond to all complaints within 72 hours, but this can take up to 28 days depending on the nature of the complaint. 

Our complaints code of practice can be found here: https://virg.in/comcop

Cheers, 

Ryan.