Menu
KayDBee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wifi drops out constantly

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help? Several times a day the Wifi cuts out on mine and my partners phones. We both have a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus. We have tried resetting the hub and the phones and running the online diagnostic tests through the virgin media site with no joy. Online chat has been useless as Virgin Media are saying there is no problem with the connection. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi drops out constantly

Does the connection drop on wired devices as well as wifi? What hub do you have?

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is a known issue with the Hub 3 and Samsung devices (mainly S7s) where the devices get a ! Mark on wifi signal and can't access the Internet, but are still showing as connected to the hub.  Is that the kind of thing you are experiencing, or do the phones actually disconnect from the hub?

The issue is discussed at length on this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-connection-on-samsung-s7/td-p/3943474

VM have confirmed that they are working on a fix (see page 40 of the thread above).  Current best workaround is to create a guest wireless network and connect affected devices to that instead of the main wireless network:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-set-up-a-guest-network-on-your-hub

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
KayDBee
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I only have one wired device and it seems to be ok. I have a hub 3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
KayDBee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'll try the guest network. Hopefully that makes a difference for us.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
KayDBee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have a hub 3. It also drops out on my Virgin TV with my 2 virgin boxes being unable to communicate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi KayDBee, 

Thanks for your post. 

Can you confirm if you're tried the advice offered to you in this post and whether this has helped or not?

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
KayDBee
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It worked for a few hours then same thing keeps happening again. Now affecting other devices. An engineer is coming out to try and resolve.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update KayDBee,

Do please keep us updated and let us know if the engineer's visit resolves this issue for you,

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

KayDBee
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Following their engineers visit we have 2 signal boosters and some changes made to the settings on our Hub. So far so good as we've had no further issues.

0 Kudos