cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi drops out all round the house now

Amiecp
Joining in

We’ve been with Virgin for about 6 years now, not really had any trouble. The wifi suits it’s has always been a bit hit and miss, we were recommended to upgrade our internet package, which we did. It didn’t really help but it was manageable. For the last couple of months it’s been getting worst, to the point now I can only connect to the wifi if I’m sat in the room with the router. I’ve tried all the recommended things, resetting the router etc and nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need a new router, will that even help? We had a pod but that makes no change either. My kids are now using their 4G in their rooms as they can’t get on the home internet 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (ethernet connections are ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (ethernet connections are ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you John! You lost me a bit in the first paragraph 🤯 very technical! I already have the pod and it’s next to useless, you can’t notice and change when it’s plugged in or not. I’ve heard the mesh systems work quite well, but we are a fairly high use family, when we can get online! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There are many ways to sort your wifi issues. A Mesh is just the simplest for non-technical users to get to grips with. My system works well for me. And my 3 mates recently sorted all theirs by putting the Poundland VM Hub into modem mode and using the far superior router included in the Mesh system and the better quality wireless equipment they also have. They live in 3/4 bedroom 2/3 floor semi's and have ~20 or so wifi connections - simultaneously delivering flawless connections.

What "high use" do you have? What size and construction materials is your property ? What additional features would you want - wifi6 for example?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I live in a 3 bed 1960’s standard brick built house, fairly small at 75m squared. We have 6 games consoles, max of 4 on at any one time, a lot of steaming if Netflix / prime etc and 2 young adults on their phones 24/7. We have M350 broadband and apparently used 1214gb last month. I don’t know if that’s high, that’s what I was told when I called last time and they suggested increasing to 350. All I really want is for the wifi to work in all of my house, it’s frustrating being in the kitchen and having to walk back to the lounge to use google if I’m cooking etc! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Monthly usage is not that helpful what matters is the amount of your bandwidth you are using simultaneously. Streaming from Netflix is often the most "hungry" - they recommend using ~25Mbps for streaming a 4k film etc. So that's about 5Mbps per standard 1080 HD stream. Zoom/teams etc would be about the same. Other activities use less - look them up - but I think most gaming only requires 1-5 Mbps, same for iPlayer etc... regular surfing only <1Mbps so a 350 package requires a lot of parallel activities to swamp it out - you should have loads of headroom.

If you do want to invest in a Mesh start by looking at the TP-Link Deco offerings that have 1GB ethernet ports. e..g. read the blurb on these (below)... cheaper and more expensive options are available (and other suppliers) - or you could start with a 2-pack unit - and just add additional units if needed.

If you want more advice/options/input etc - just ask here.

See for starters........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Deco-S4-3-pack-Beamforming/dp/B0851D6MXY/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Next-Gen-Extenders-HomeCare-Antivirus/dp/B0041JNUAI/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Honestly, I’m so glad I posted here! Thank you ☺️ I was actually looking a deco in Argos earlier, I have heard good things about them. I don’t know if the Amazon ones are newer models? If I’m going to spend money, I’d like the best I can afford, around £100 seems ok to try it and see if they work. Do you think the Amazon or Argos are the better version? 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2009542?clickSR=slp:term:mesh%20wifi:5:358:1 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

NO - thats the E4 system - an older one with 10/100 ethernet ports (see below) - so your entire network will max out at 100Mbps - wasting the other 250 !

All the ones I posted have the full speed 1GB ports which is what you need - £100 gets you the M4 or S4 - both good - the other 2 just have more features.  Argos has the M4 3 pack and its cheaper  (£99) than the E4 (the E4 has some additional features - but have sacrificed the speed benefits).  They also do the M5 (which are smaller and better looking) and the X20's - which is the one I am going to get when its time to upgrade 😎

If you do go for one then post back for a "how to connect them" procedure - its easy but has to be done in the correct sequence (I have posted that procedure on here several times a week for the past few years)

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 20.56.43.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hey Amiecp, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear you've had some connection issues.

I have taken a look and I can't see any major issues, did any the above advice help at app?

I would also look at doing a scan on the connect app to see if our WIFI pods may help you.

The best way to get a pod order is download the Virgin Connect app, from here do a scan.

If the scan picks up that you need a pod it will allow you to order some.

However they can be chargeable depending what package you on.

They are free on Volt, 1GB or Oomph bundles. 

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?