cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping and reconnecting ALL time

Echo005
Tuning in

My connection WAS split years ago but virgin without asking me changed it back a few months ago.Had drop outs every since. I put up with them but then last Thurs/fri i started getting them more often and my speeds were going right down then up again. I rang up on Friday and spoke with a woman for an hour who passed it onto second line summat or other. She told me i would get a call the next morning. NO.A couple of weeks ago after reading of folk complaining in here i went onto that website that records stuff.The drop outs are all the time now and it's driving me mad.That is a short version.Hopefully this can be sorted and in over 25 years (or so) of being on cable I've not had this problem. 

12 REPLIES 12

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you go into the servings on your hub you can split the WiFi bands again and make sure that smart/ intelligent WiFi I’d turned off. Unspoilt bands and intelligent WiFi are need if you have VM pods, that’s why they update the hubs. If you had the bands split before you did not have pods.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The woman did say she could change it.The guy who i spoke to previously a couple of weeks earlier said he was going to split it before we go cut off (he didn't ring back). I assumed he had till i rang up last week. Never heard of those pods.I'm not changing anything yet till i know what might be causing the drop outs but ta

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the channels were split and worked well and no longer are and it isnt working well its a simple user job to DIY.

Instructions below if you want to try it - you cant really botch it as you can just go back to where you are now with a pinhole reset - or try calling in again and insist they split them for you

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3 wifi issues for certain devices.
Go into the Hub3/4 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Echo005,

Thank you for your posts. I am really sorry to hear you've been facing some issues with your connection lately and are now looking to split your channels.

I can see that @Tudor and @jbrennand have both offered advice on how to do this yourself at your leisure. Have you managed to do this yet? If so, has it alleviated the issue or is it ongoing?

If you need further assistance, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Sorry i didn't get straight back.I tried tot login but it keeps saying password incorrect so i have no idea why and i clicked the show me password box and the password is defo correct

ah.Wrong password i was putting wifi password in

There is NO channel optimisation/smart wifi that i can disable.There IS a wireless MAC filtering but it is already disabled

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it exactly ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

SH3