cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi drop out daily

Muzzyuk
Tuning in

I am experiencing WiFi dropout on a daily basis to the point where it is causing issues with my work (working from home) and managing monetary items online. I have never had an issue with my previous provider BT. When I perform a speed check (when there is connection) I am in the 100+ range but this has zero effect if the connection keeps dropping. Have been with Virgin since Xmas but this issue has been occurring over 1 month now and really needs sorting. Done numerous resets of the hub and disconnections/reconnection etc. By the sounds of the things from the forum the hub 3 is trash. Can I get some tech support or replacement?

Kind Regards, 

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

There is no issue on the wired connections (PS5/TV). Just the wifi network stability

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK see this.....

As you say it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3 you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks John. I am on the bigger bundle package with 200 plus fibre. Thanks for providing an alternative solution but surely this is faulty equipment or inadequate equipment which doesn't function as intended.....in other words not fit for purpose. Don't want to go spending more money on equipment to try and solve an issue that lies with the company who provides the service. Are there any virgin mods on here who can arrange a tech replacement or engineer to sort?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM Tech cannot sort this for you - other than splitting the two bands - which is a DIY operation anyways.

Most you can expect VM to do is a Hub swap and even getting them to do that wont be straightforward as yours is working fine - because VM (& all other BB providers) provide a service that is only guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cabled device. They all expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - makes sense as it is so influenced by the external environment, size of property, construction materials, etc.

So the Pods are the VM solution and will be an extra £5/month rental on your package.

Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for that and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back - not really a guarantee in my book - and the BT discs can be bought online for ~£100 as well.

The reality is, that if the "Poundland" Hub wifi doesn’t work well for you and splitting the wifi SSID's to sort the issues doesnt work, then you are far better removing VM from the wifi equation and sourcing your own better quality wireless equipment.

Have you tried splitting the SSID's it does sort it for a lot of customers. If you arent sure how just ask.

Or a change of providers of is always another option of course

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Muzzyuk,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issue with your broadband, our system did notice an issue that required a tech visit. Can you see a booking on your online My VM app

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley, there is no booking in my app but I did see a missed tech visit slip in myetterbox today.

Kind Regards,

James

Hi James, 

I cans see you've been in touch with us since you last posted,

If you are still experiencing issues with the service please let us know.

Alex_Rm

Hi,

Did you ever get you WiFi sorted as I am experiencing the exact same issue.. Multiple drop outs every day, to all devices regardless of location in the house and no obvious reason why.