cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi constantly dropping, Hub 3 red light

BaronTea
Tuning in

Hi,

I have had a red light on the Hub 3 for the last few weeks. Since then the wifi has got progressively worse - one minute speed tests showing super speedy connectivity, the next dropping connections altogether. This has got progressively worse so I am now struggling to make calls for work on a regular basis. Worryingly, the light on the hub has now turned to orange, which some googling suggests shouldn't be a colour option! 

I've tried having the hub turned off for a good period (long weekend while away), rebooting regularly and factory resetting, but nothing seems to help - any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Thanks for coming back to us @BaronTea

I've been able to run a flow on our systems and it doesn't seem to recognise that the hub may be slightly hotter than expected.

Can you please advise me if any devices close to the hub can be connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable?

There appears to be a lot of Wi-Fi interference on your connection and I'm curious if lessening some of the traffic on the Wi-Fi connection may help reduce the temperature of the hub.

I can also see that you have boosters on your connection, are these currently fully functioning? Do the boosters feel hot? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn  

I've been able to run a flow on our systems and it doesn't seem to recognise that the hub may be slightly hotter than expected.

With respect, a red LED is a faulty overheating indicator and the hub needs replacing unless Virgin Media are willing to formally state that they assert that red/orange LEDs on Hub 3s have no safety significance, and the company accept all liability should a hub catch fire.  It is possible (I suppose) that VM's legal and risk management experts are willing to recommend VM's executives take the risk on, and the company are willing to confirm that with the hardware maker, and run that all by the Office for Product Safety & Standards.

I don't know, but I would expect the overheating sensor will be part of the Puma chipset package incorporating the Atom CPU, as that's normally where a computing device would have a sensor mounted, and since the router and wifi functions are controlled by an Atheros AR9382 package, plus a Qualcomm QCA9880 for 5 GHz, neither in the same physical module as the CPU, then changing wifi arrangements shouldn't make any difference to the temperature sensor.  Even then I'd be concerned that it seems VM are asserting that in normal use, a customer's wifi devices in normal use can be sufficient to trigger the overheating (or overheating indicator) of a consumer hub.  Is the Hub 3 really that poor?   

Thanks for reinforcing the reason for the red light and potentially issues Andrew-G, I am concerned this has been a red light for several weeks now and not being addressed so don't know if should be continuing to use.

David_Bn, what am I testing by plugging directly into the hub please? My home office space is not near the hub to directly plug in and use the computer for long periods but can do temporarily if running a specific test. The Alexa and other connected devices that I assume are what you're describing as WiFi interference (I consider as devices connected to my network which is what the WiFi is for?) won't connect directly or can't be moved. If you mean something else relating to interference, could you post so I'm understanding and can take any action?

The homeplug is warm to the touch but has always been. It's set up on a different SSID which has actually been a workaround to switch over to when facing drop out on calls and things, but doesn't address the underlying drop outs and red light issues.

Thanks

Hi @BaronTea

I will need to book a technician to come out and replace the router if required. 

Will pop you a PM now so we can confirm some details 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for confirming the details as requested via PM @BaronTea

I have booked the first available appointment for you. You can find confirmation of this via your online account and will be given the option to re-schedule if unsuitable.

Let us know how the visit goes.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Andrew-G wrote:

snip …  Is the Hub 3 really that poor?   

Why yes, yes it is 😀