cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi constantly disconnecting Chromebook

110sb
Tuning in

I have a brand new HP Chromebook but am experiencing WiFi connectivity issues.  The Chromebook is connected to the router and when connected is working just fine but it is plagued by constant dropping off the WiFi connection.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when this happens and when it does, it is for a matter of seconds and reconnects automatically.

The drop out only affects the Chromebook. No other devices attached to the router (on either frequency or by Ethernet cable) experience disconnection at the same time and the router remains connected to the network.

The connectivity is affected no matter how many other devices are connected to the router and will also happen if the Chromebook is right next to the router.  It does not appear that bandwidth or signal strength are the cause.

I have rebooted the router frequently and I assume that it has automatically updated its software.  I have updated the Chromebook software and am running the most up to date version on the device.

Additionally, I have changed the network names on the router to distinguish between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies.  I have re-assigned devices to prefer specific frequencies but the WiFi drop out continues to occur no matter how many devices are connected to the network or individual frequencies.

I am at a loss.  Will an updated router help or is there something else I can do?

12 REPLIES 12

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Could be an issue with the Chromebook

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thank you. It's definitely a possibility but I was hoping that there might be an issue with the HUB3 that is several years old rather than the brand new Chromebook. HP have said that they don't think it is an issue with the Chromebook as it connects easily, functions well (whilst connected) and reconnects automatically straight away. I am hoping to eliminate all other options and gather further data before going back to HP.

DJKay
Tuning in

I have the same issue when in Premier Inn hotels which use Virgin Media. Extremely frustrating. My Chromebook is up-to-date and is no more than a year old.

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DJKay

Thanks for posting on here and sorry to hear you're having simialr issues. 

Can I just ask a few questions, is it just your Chromebook that you find disconnects? No other devices? 

Is it just also in Hotels that it disconnects as it may be that it could be the Hotel's connection rather than something to do with your Chromebook as I find a lot when I am on hotels, my connection is definitely not as good as when I am home? 

Please do let me know. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I know hotels can be problematic but it does not happen to my work computer which is windows based.

I have no problems with my Chromebook at home (not virgin media).

I stay in hotels most weeks and it is happening every week. I pay for Ultimate service as I like to watch movies. Disconnection can happen at any time. I have to press the flash notice to access the login in screen again so it only takes 5-10 secs and then it reconnects, but this can occur at least 5-10 times during a movie.

When staying in Holiday Inn Express hotels I had no problems with Chromebook.

I thought it would be related to the actual hotel, but it occurs in different Premier Inns so it is not isolated to just one of the hotels.

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to me, 

That is very bizarre but it's definitely something we can look into as it's just the chrome book having the issue. 

Just some basic questions, have you forgot all network settings on your Chromebook and then reconnected to the WiFi, does it continue to drop out? 

I know this may sound bizarre, but do you know how old your Chromebook is ie: is it more newish or quite old? 

Do you have VPN at all with the Chromebook , if so does this also make a difference? 

Please do let me know. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Sasha,

Thank you for hijacking my thread and replying to someone else when I have not received a satisfactory reply myself.

I find it incredibly rude that you reply to someone else's query on my thread without addressing the original posters issue. Perhaps a reply to my initial post might have been more appropriate?

Time to leave VM I think!

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon 110sb. 

Thank you for your post. I can assure Sasha would not have deliberately ignored you. Things can get a little complicated when multiple people post on a thread. 

To address your issues,  are you having issues with your connection dropping to any other devices?  Are they dropping when connecting via an Ethernet connection? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thank you Zak but I find it incredibly rude to interject on a thread especially when there was only one comment and my reply at the time.  It really is not good form for forum staff to reply to assist a thread hijacker but not the original poster's issue. 

All the information you need is in my original post. There is no option to connect my Chromebook via ethernet, I do not have an ethernet cable port.

I look forward to receiving a reply and possible guidance towards solving MY issue and not someone else's.