cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connects to some devices but not others!

nikkispink
Tuning in

We have had what I think is the Hub 3.0 for just over a year and it seems that it connects fine to some devices and then occassionally decides to almost 'block' a device for no reason. It happened with our Roku box, it just comes up as not able to connect to network (via wifi) so we ended up getting a new Roku box and it worked fine for ages but now again the same thinghas happened and I don't think it is an issue with the roku box. More importatntly it has just happened with my laptop too, just yesterday my laptop can not connect to the network via wifi but when plugged with an ethernet cable it connects. It also happens with my android phone quite often where I will suddenly have a message saying 'access denied' to the wifi network.

Can it be that I have to access the Hub 3.0 somehow to allow these devices to be connected? Should it suddenly change? How can I fix this so that all the devices are able to connect without problem?

I should also say that they are all within range of the wifi, very close to the router when this is happeneing so it's not an issue with the strength of signal.

Thanks 🙂 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Zak_M wrote:

Hi Nikkispink

Just to back up what Jbrennand is saying, I would advise that you factory reset the hub (pinhole reset) to gain this information. 

you can find out how to do this here 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

Thanks 

Zak 

a factory reset will not help if he is looking in the wrong place for the password which i believe he is 

further if you read the whole thread the OP says he has already done a full reset

all the info is there just needs taking on board!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good call Tony. From VM site - shows both black and white variants in the image.
--------------

Hub 3.0

Your Hub 3.0 has its own settings page, which can be used to control the operation of the device. To protect the Hub 3.0 settings from unauthorised changes, you may wish to alter the password.

1.Access the Hub 3.0 configuration pages by entering http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your web browser

2. Login to the device using the default password (as shown on the label on the bottom of the Hub 3.0)
Note: the forgotten password option on the login page will not work

3. Once you are logged in click, Admin and then Change password

4. Enter the existing password and then enter your new password. The minimum criteria for the new password is:

minimum of 8 characters
must have lower case letters
at least 1 upper case letter
at least 1 number

5. Click on Apply changes

The next time you try to access the settings page, remember to use the new password instead of the one printed on the Hub 3.0's label.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

62 REPLIES 62

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Maybe you got a new firmware update thats causing problems so might be best to use the hub in modem mode with your own wireless router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply!

How do I use it in modem mode?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Before you go into modem mode you will need your own cable wireless router. Do you have one - if so which make.model ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

We don't have a wireless router but surely we shouldn't need one to have WiFi through the house, that's what we are paying virgin for?!? If it is the case that the router is not capable of supplying WiFi effectively to all my devices then I will look at difference suppliers. Is there no other solution to this issue? 

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi nikkispink,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community 🙂

Sorry to hear of the WiFi issues you've been having. It does sound daft, but has a reboot and or PIN hole reset on the router been tried?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Yep, done and done. Numerous reboots and one pin hole reset so far. 

Nikki

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nikkispink wrote:

We don't have a wireless router but surely we shouldn't need one to have WiFi through the house, that's what we are paying virgin for?!? If it is the case that the router is not capable of supplying WiFi effectively to all my devices then I will look at difference suppliers. Is there no other solution to this issue? 

No you are not paying for wifi - you are paying for VM (or any other BB supplier) to deliver the agreed network speed connection through the Hub.  How you choose to use it is up to you. VM include a basic wifi provision in their Hubs - which works well for the vast majority of their 5m customers - but occasionally not for some (like you).

Look through the 2 posts in "pink" at the top of this forum board for reasons and explanations for that and what you might do to try and improve it.

The long term solution for those with localised wifi issues is to treat the Hub as just a modem and take control of your own wireless networking with your own kit.  Another BB supplier might provide you with better wifi or it might not - none "guarantee" connections by wifi (see the small print).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I get that there could be connectivity issues for some but when all devices mentioned are within one metre of the wireless router and some have superb connection and others are unable to connect or have access denied, it is not down to the WiFi not reaching parts of the house that I have an issue with, its as if the router is only allowing access to either a limited or a select list of devices regardless of their location. 

I work from home and not being able to connect to a wireless connection within less than a metre from the router/hub on my laptop denies me the access I need to work. That to me seems crazy given how much I pay VM each month!

Nikki

Also, just to add, I have read the two pink posts and also searched through similar posts prior to posting this, it is not a weak signal issue. 

Nikki