cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connectivity dropping on Hub 5

sfoxcroft64
Tuning in

We have a Hub 5 and wifi connectivity is continually dropping and not reconnecting. Its happening on several devices including windows laptops, IOS and Android mobiles.

When VM offered to swap the Hub 3 for a Hub 5 they never stated that we would be part of a beta trial for a new product. No additional support was put in place.

To make matters worse, I’ve just received an email saying the price of my existing service is going up by 49% when our current contract ends in a few weeks.

I’ve read numerous other threads from people having similar issues. I’m not prepared to wait for firmware fixes that may or may not be rolled out in the future.

VM, if you want me to remain a customer, please replace my Hub 5 with a tried and tested older model. Otherwise I’ll be switching providers when my contract ends.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you still have the old Hub? If so call the activation line and tell them its not fit for purpose and you want the old Hub reactivating on the account and you will return the Hub5

The equipment activation number is - 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – you will need the serial number/MAC address off the barcode sticker and also your account number, Call now but at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) for the best chance of getting through quickly.

If try the same tactic on this line or call and use options 1.1.4.4 and tell them you want the Hub5 replaced or you will be cancelling

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John

i stupidly returned the old hub 😱

i’m going to try calling the “I’m thinking of leaving line”

The representative from them”Relationships” team said “I’ll cancel your service because I’m not prepared to replace your hub”. I asked for his full name to make a complaint and he refused to provide his surname or any other details.

Disgraceful customer service Virgin Media

🤔

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the following, it may help ?

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.
• Disable the Smart Optimisation on the wifi bands.

Also set the 2.4Ghz wifi to legacy settings;

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
In the Wireless frequency 2.4GHz select Wireless mode > 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
Select Apply changes

As an aside, I have a Hub 5 in modem mode and runs a much improved BQM than my previous Hub 3, also in modem mode.  However all the routing and wifi services are running off my own kit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BillBudd
Superfast

If you have a MACBook you could also run the network diagnostics "scan" function which will recommend channels for the 2.4 and 5.0 network.  Also run the "performance" function and note the noise levels.

Just a thought, might give you some insight into what is occurring.

Bill

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, BT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP, o2 Mobile SIM on iPhone, unlimited data, texts & minutes.