cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection will not reach loft

JP786
Tuning in

Hi i have just moved my son's PS4 into the loft so unable to connect via cable so has to be via WiFi. It connects but shows WiFi signal is too weak. Any solution to this? Should I buy an extender or can virgin help me sort this issue.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

Virgin can help you by supplying Wifi Pods - these cost £5 per month, unless you're on an ultimate oomph or gig package in which case they are free.  If you're not, then (IMHO) they're poor value for money and you're better off buying your own, better wifi solution.

If you don't want to run a network cable, then your options are either power line adapters or a wireless mesh system. if it was my money, i'd opt for hte latter - powerline adapters are an option of last resort for me.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

sophist
Trouble shooter

Virgin can help you by supplying Wifi Pods - these cost £5 per month, unless you're on an ultimate oomph or gig package in which case they are free.  If you're not, then (IMHO) they're poor value for money and you're better off buying your own, better wifi solution.

If you don't want to run a network cable, then your options are either power line adapters or a wireless mesh system. if it was my money, i'd opt for hte latter - powerline adapters are an option of last resort for me.

Hey thanks for your quick response. Will start looking at some wireless mesh systems. If you do know any decent ones please do let me know.

Thanks

sophist
Trouble shooter

@JP786 wrote:

Hey thanks for your quick response. Will start looking at some wireless mesh systems. If you do know any decent ones please do let me know.

Thanks

The TP-Link Deco range gets a good writeup around here.  The M4 or S4 are their entry level systems and cost between £100-130 depending on what offers are on..

Asus also offer a good range, as do Netgear.

As for a recommendation - give us some more detail about your requirement (number of devices, size and construction materials of house, whether or not you care about the latest greatest wifi standards) and budget.. if you want to minimise cost then the abovementioned deco will do fine, if you want to get an all singing all dancing, top of hte line setup then be prepared to spend north of £400.

Worth also noting that when using one of these products, the optimal setup is to put your VM hub into "Modem mode" - this will result in all but one of hte ethernet conenctions on the hub being disabled, so if you have any wired connections currently running to teh hub then you may also need a 1gb switch

Thanks for the advice. Won't need top notch, just need to get some connection up to the loft thats it. Will check out the ones you have mentioned.