cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection to phone poor

Jacobbarwick
Joining in

So we have had virgin media for a year or so and I have always been getting packet loss, we have had people come round to try sort it and it still doesn’t work. My ethernet cable that connects to my pc is fine and i have tried multiple different ones. The wifi connection to my phone is also very poor, I am unable to use my wifi when face timing and using certain apps, as the wifi is too weak to use it. I am constantly having poor connection on both my phone and pc and it is getting worse. I am unable to play games on my pc due to it constantly lagging badly. 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you have any other devices connected on ethernet cables to the Hub?

What are the issues you are getting on the connection to the PC - exactly? And what happens on other devices when you connect them on ethernet cable? What Hub model is it?

Lets see the connection data - can you do this

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle or top/right of the Login page and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No other ethernet cables are connected to it, no. I get very bad lag; slow response time and constant packet loss. I try to play games but when I try to play games like fifa, my game freezes for about 30seconds - 1 minute and then i get speed up lag. Which It does multiple times a game, so it’s pretty much unplayable. The wifi on my phone can be very week sometimes and every time I try to facetime someone on my iphone I disconnect and lose connection because of “poor connection” so I have to use my 4g. I’m not sure on the model itself but the speed of the model, I believe should be between 200-300.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you post the data as requested in message 2.

What Hub model do you have and what are its various lights showing and doing when the game freezes for 30 seconds?

To test speeds correctly you need to do it this way.
-----------------------------------------

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

latency 15.8 ms

jitter 3.57 ms

download 61.7 Mbps

upload 36.2 Mbp

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you post the data as requested in message 2.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jacobbarwick, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with WiFi. If the WiFi tips here (virg.in/WiFiwins) don't help then you may be eligible for WiFi Pods (more in this here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new)

We'll be able to check for any issues with the connection/hub if you can post the info requested by jbrennand above. I wasn't able to check things over from our side using your forum info alone on this occasion, if you get back to me via PM we'll be able to take a closer look into it.

Tom