cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection speed

gracjan
Joining in

Hi, I'm not sure the actual reason to this however it happened when i was renovating my room. The coaxial cable was running from the outside of the house to through my room so I unplugged it from my router which is outside the room and when I finished renovating my room, instead of sending it through the normal route I sent it through the roof into my attic to my router. however once I plugged it in and the router was on my speed decreased by 3 folds. I'm not sure if its the coaxial cable however that's the only thing i can think of. I didn't move the router from where it was just unplugged it and plugged it back in and i used the exact same cable. However once i did it took a oddly long time to turn on. about an hour it took. For example, my download speed on games would be between 21-27 MB's but now I average around 7 MB's and also when that happens i cant do anything on my pc as it slows the connects a lot and cant be on call to anyone on my pc as the connection grows distorted and they cant hear me properly. I restarted it and unplugged and re-plugged everything but its still the same. Also to give you other numerical values when i would go on the google speed test i would get 150-190 mpbs but now I get 60 mps and it turns to 3 mps when I'm downloaded something. This also cant be my computers fault as the connection speed on my brothers computer and console has decreased drastically.

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are those speeds over wifi from the Hub or on ethernet cable connected devices?

Try this first.
_______

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it. Report back.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

yh the wifi on external devices which arent plugged with ethernet work fine but the ones connected through ethernet get very slow wifi 

Hello gracjan,

Thanks for your post.

Can I please ask how things are looking now.

Did you do a pinhole reset on the hub like @jbrennand has advised?

Gareth_L

No it hasnt the download and wifi speed are not as fast as they were before i moved the coaxial cable. Download speed still at around 5 MB/s download speed when it used to be 26 MB/s on steam and in general the speed has almost decreased by 3 times. I hard reset it but nothing changed.

i also called virgin media as there was a issue with the internet in my area  3 days ago. They did a diagnosis of the router and everything was fine.

Hi gracjan,

Thanks for coming back to the thread. You were affected by an area outage, fault reference F010185983. This was resolved on the 14th October. 

I've ran a further check and all looks fine from our side, no outages/issues. 

All your levels are in spec and no issues with congestion/SNR (signal to noise ratio).

Please can you do a speedtest via Ethernet (laptop/PC) at http://speedtest.net for me with only that device connected to the internet? This'll give us an indication of the actual speeds you're receiving and we can go from there

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill