Menu
Highlighted
Anne_Bell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wifi connection slow, drops out or non existant

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed issues recently with the internet speeds being inconsistent. In the last few months I have noticed it drops to very low levels quite frequently and actually completely cuts out probably a couple of times a week. On top of this the 5.0ghz does not reach anywhere near the speeds it used to, and actually 90% of the time doesn't allow for devices to connect, or when they do connect there is no signal and nothing loads.

Just wondering if this is an issue anyone else is experiencing or if it is some sort of issue technical with my router?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi connection slow, drops out or non existant

What Hub model do you have?
Also dont rely on wifi speed tests - check on a computer/laptop connected diectly to the Hub (in modem mode) by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable. See if that connection is stable and see what speeds that gets first.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anne_Bell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We have a superhub 3 that we have had for about 2 years now. 

We have a few things that are connected to the hub by ethernet and they get slightly slower speeds that we were getting a few months ago, but the connection is fairly stable there (or at least we haven't noticed wired connection dropping out). The main problem seems to just be the WIFI. The 5.0 is very unreliable as to wether it allows access to the internet or not and the 2.4 has massively variable speeds at al time of the day. I originally thought it may just be high traffic at nights, but recently I've noticed at seemingly random times throughout the day. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for getting in touch @Anne_Bell - sorry that you've been having some issues with your broadband recently. 

I have located your account from your forum information and can see that your box hasn't been rebooted in over a month so if you could try a reboot for us first and monitor things for a few days that would be a great start 🙂 

Other than that, we're not seeing any particular issues with your connections and there are no errors showing. 

Pop back when you can with updates after the reboot in a few days and we'll check again. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Anne_Bell
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the help. This did originally seem to work but after about a day the speed seemed to drop again and the 5.0 is still disconnecting pretty frequently. Now to the point where it is unusable and so we have had to move all the devices over to the 2.4 which obviously makes the speed even worse.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

Have you been able to attempted another reboot to see if this has helped at all?

^Martin

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If its purely a wifi issue you can try the procedure below to see if that sorts it out - If not - You should consider sticking the Hub in modem mode and using your own wireless equipment - i.e. - wifi router - or router + wireless access point(s) - or Mesh.

Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 your browser) and navigate to the “smart wifi” page and then tick the "disable channel optimisation” box - and save settings.
After doing that - go in to advanced>wireless>security, and just rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network SSID's. Just change 'em to something like ... Annexxxx.2 & Annexxxx.5 - use the same password for both, save settings and restart Hub.
Over wifi you can then individually select which network that you want each device to connect to.
See if that helps if not you can always reset it all back with a pinhole reset of the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anne_Bell
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

Over the last few weeks the router has been reset a number of times and it hasn't changed anything. As also suggested on these posts, the router is already set up so that the 2.4 and 5.0 networks are separate which is how I know one is acting slow and the other does not work at all. I am reluctant to purchase a separate router and operate the provided one in modem mode as this is what the original setup was and it really hindered the speed. It also creates an addition cost which shouldn't be needing to receive the service I already pay for.

There is clearly an issue here with how the modem is working that cannot be fixed by resetting time and time again and I would appreciate a different response.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As you clearly have a wifi issue and not a network connection one - try this If you haven’t already done it when you renamed the SSID's of the 2 wireless bands - it has helped a lot of people with Hub3's.

Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 your browser) and navigate to the “smart wifi” page and then tick the "disable channel optimisation” box and save settings.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Anne_Bell
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant thank you. That was an immediate fix.
0 Kudos