Menu
Windinherhair
Tuning in
Message 301 of 508
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi connection on samsung s7

I received a Samsung update yesterday.
It would "appear" that the WiFi connection is strong again.
However, my data has completely disappeared. I have spoken with my provider (Vodafone) and they have found that the update "purged" my data?!
They have completely removed the data from my phone, and should have it reinstalled and up and running properly by the end of today.
Vodafone can't say if this update will cause issues for all of those who install it, or if I just had an unfortunate glitch...

0 Kudos
Robertaldis
Joining in
Message 302 of 508
Flag for a moderator

Another one is 2 set up the guest Wi-Fi in the router and since then use that and I have had no problems like other people it is only happening on my Samsung S7

Highlighted
MahZ
Tuning in
Message 303 of 508
Flag for a moderator

So far I have done what was advised in previous posts, by changing the SSID of the 5GHz band to be different than the 2.4GHz (so that you have two SSID's), connect the S7 to the 2.4GHz SSID and works normally.

Seems the phone has issues on the 5GHz band? Not ideal but a decent workaround for the time being.

LegnumNick
On our wavelength
Message 304 of 508
Flag for a moderator

After a few days of messing about, the only thing that has "solved" the issue for me is turning off the 5GHz on the router.  Not ideal as it is a performance restriction but at least it works.

I shall try and pop in to this thread from time to time to see if there is ever a real solution.  To be honest, the fact that the router also can't cope with the way I would like to set up my Sonos is also annoying and I am getting closer to buying a decent router and sticking the Not So Superhub in modem mode only.

Good luck everyone!

Declanworld
Superfast
Message 305 of 508
Flag for a moderator

I've split my wi-fi into the separate 2.4 and 5 networks.

My S7 is now hooked to the 2.4 network and, not only has it not disconnected since, but the signal is much stronger in parts of the house which had suffered - only since the S7 crisis began.

I've connected my V6 to 5.

applep
Tuning in
Message 306 of 508
Flag for a moderator

I've found the answer to my Samsung S7 edge dropping wifi every few minutes. Apparently the Nougat update has a problem with some apps which result in wifi dropping out. I was advised to de-install recent apps and to my surprise I did yesterday and it seems to have worked. It looked as if for me it was the Dulux colouriser app which allows you to take a photo of your room and then paint it to see what it looks like. I de-installed it with several other apps I don't use often and bingo. So  give it a go and see what happens. Before you do lots of de-installs switch to SAFE mode and see if the dropping out stops. Once you are confident start the de-installing. I stayed in SAFE mode for 30 minutes and had no drop outs so started de-installing. To get into SAFE mode you hold volume down as soon as the SAMSUNG appears on your phone and you will see SAFE in bottom left hand corner of screen

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 307 of 508
Flag for a moderator

@applep wrote:

I've found the answer to my Samsung S7 edge dropping wifi every few minutes. Apparently the Nougat update has a problem with some apps which result in wifi dropping out. I was advised to de-install recent apps and to my surprise I did yesterday and it seems to have worked. It looked as if for me it was the Dulux colouriser app which allows you to take a photo of your room and then paint it to see what it looks like. I de-installed it with several other apps I don't use often and bingo. So  give it a go and see what happens. Before you do lots of de-installs switch to SAFE mode and see if the dropping out stops. Once you are confident start the de-installing. I stayed in SAFE mode for 30 minutes and had no drop outs so started de-installing. To get into SAFE mode you hold volume down as soon as the SAMSUNG appears on your phone and you will see SAFE in bottom left hand corner of screen

@applep Can I ask where you got this advice?  Do you know if it only applies to Nougat (Android 7)? I believe most of the people reporting on this thread have Oreo (Android 😎 so it might not be applicable.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
applep
Tuning in
Message 308 of 508
Flag for a moderator

Hi I searched using Google - I didn't keep a record of who it was but try searching for "why does my Samsung S7 edge keep dropping the wifi connection". It just said Nougat which didn't mean anything to me but I tried the suggested solution and it worked. I don't think you can harm anything by trying. Certainly it is very easy to switch to SAFE mode and then you can see if it stops dropping out then progress from there. If it still drops out in SAFE mode then it suggested that there could be a problem with firmware. Good luck

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 309 of 508
Flag for a moderator

@applep Thanks, I agree it is probably worth a try.

I'm not currently impacted by this issue, I have the S5 (with Android 6.0.1) which doesn't appear to have this issue so I can't test it myself. I'm just trying to help those that are affected.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
applep
Tuning in
Message 310 of 508
Flag for a moderator

My Wi-Fi connection has just dropped out so maybe it's not a perfect solution. It's a lot better than it was

0 Kudos