cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection keeps dropping

bitsandpcs
Fibre optic
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/62c5e55aff84407818b3c5ec17d621c989...

Most thinks are connected via wired network but things like google nest and Alexa are wifi, i have about 10 items on wifi and over the past week or so have notice thing losing connection .

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
BQM looks ok - no obvious disconnects -- I note you switch it off overnight.

And - its not clear - are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on the devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have only noticed it on wifi and no i dont turn the hub off over night, unless there is something in setting of the hub that is set to turn it off?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Mmm.. it wasnt responding to pings between 2am - noon - see the Red block. So either it was switched off, VM were doing work on the system or one of the many firmware bugs caused it 🙂

Do the wired test this way...
If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @bitsandpcs.

Welcome back to our forums.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your WIFI connection. We can understand the frustration this may have caused. Have you tried the great advice given by @jbrennand ? If so, what were the results?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs