cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection has suddenly reduced.

Spidie35
Tuning in

I have M200 fibre broadband package and until two weeks ago the WiFi worked fine in all rooms in the house. It is a small house. Now I get very slow connectivity everywhere except the room the hub is in. This is making working from home extremely difficult. TEAMs  meetings are impossible.

Using the Virgin connect app it shows good WiFi coverage everywhere but when I log in to the hub settings and go to network diagnostics it says your net work has a few problems and recommends moving devices closer to the hub.

Virgin were doing some work in this area (Cambridge) a couple of weeks ago and it seems too much of a coincidence that now I have great difficulty getting enough signal to work.

Does anyone one have any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What are connections like over an ethernet cable connection?

What Hub model do you have (printed on the base sticker)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Could VM be reducing the WiFi range to get you to buy their pods? or maybe the hardware is failing?

You can ask for another hub or get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi john

ethernet connection is fine. Hub is a hub3.0

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but, as Legacy1 has suggested, its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks

Yes I would have to pay for the pods. I am a bit sceptical about them especially as the virgin connect app has scanned for WiFi black spots and can’t find any.

I will give the other stuff a try but am not very technical so might take me a while.

thanks for your suggestions 

Thanks
I might ask for a new hub

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Hubs are in short supply at the moment and VM will not simply swap them if the ethernet connectivity is good and its just a wifi issue - they will offer you Pods for £5/month

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi Spidie35,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear you have been facing a reduced connection recently, I have managed to locate your account with the details we have for you and have had a look at things our end, I couldn't see any issues at all, your levels are all as expected with no errors.

can you try a pin reset on the Router just to rule out a software issue, first check all the internal connections are hand tight then push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards? 

Regards

Paul.